Author Topic: K5 clutch woes.....  (Read 4056 times)

Offline -Kama-

K5 clutch woes.....
« on: November 04, 2009, 12:10:59 PM »
unnngh,......was taking apart the clutch side of my engine in order to tweak the kicker gear as ive read others have done to fix the rounded dogs,.....
My motor has been sitting in storage about 8-9 yrs,  so things are a little "stuck".  while breaking the clutch spring bolts loose,  one of them broke the boss off the inner hub instead of the bolt coming loose (see pic)

My question is,  is there anyone still making aftermarket clutch baskets or parts for the 87 motors?  or what other years is the basket the same in? 

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: K5 clutch woes.....
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 04:02:04 PM »
Kama,I found this '88 diagram through Service Honda OEM parts supplier XtremeUSA.com

http://www.xtremeusa.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=381700&category=Motorcycles&make=KAWASAKI&year=1988&fveh=8823
'88 Hub Clutch PN#13087-1098
I'm not sure '88-87 are interchangeable.

I did find the same # for the '87 clutch hub matches 4 bikes.
 '87 Hub Clutch   PN# 13087-1085
 Model (4):   
KX250-E1 (KX250) (1987)
KX500-C1 (KX500) (1987)
KXF250-A1 (Tecate 4) (1987)
KXF250-A2 (Tecate 4) (1988)

The '88 tecate is only a year newer but might help...
  Tuck\o/

:-D :-D----------------Update!!!----------- :-D :-D

I went back to service honda and put in the '87 clutch hub number in the Parts number search.. 
(there is a spot to order parts if you already have a part #)
      http://servicehonda.com/index.html

PN#    130871085            HUB-CLUTCH      81.63      61.51   (your price)

Give them a call and verify, ask for "Pooh" (as in Pooh Bear)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 04:11:26 PM by Friar-Tuck »
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »
Tuck,
   You are a plethora of information, a regular cornucopia of knowledge. If I'm ever on "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" you are going to be one of my life lines! :-D

JFAB
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 02:06:43 AM »
Kama,
   Some won't like this but I ran a clutch hubs like that before with 5 springs in my old KX420.  I didn't notice any difference other than a slightly lighter clutch pull.  Clutch operated fine and didn't slip and lasted the whole season.  Repairing it is the correct thing to do but I don't see any harm in riding it while you search for the part. Cam.

Offline don46

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 04:25:26 AM »
I believe the 88 is using the newer style hub, it has a much finer spline. The 86 has the same splen as the 87, but only uses 5 springs. maybe you could tap the boss that broke of and come through from the back side with a screw with a countersunk head and locktite it, since there are 5 more the load may not be to  significant on it. the worse case alternative would be to use a 88 or newer shaft, although not sure that would work either withoput a bit of work since there is a different bearing configuration on the end of the shaft. Of course there is always ebay, they come up occassionaly.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline -Kama-

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 08:56:34 AM »
wow,...what a response,..great and helpful information guys:

Friar-tuck :,   thank you very much for that smorgasbord of info on what interchanges with what,  and for the link to getting it new,  think i will be doing that,  getting the new one,  just gonna have to wait 2 weeks till next payday  heh:)

KXcam22 : i had thought about just dropping it back in that way for now,...but i run 2 foot worth of heavy mud paddle on the back of my quad,.... i already eat up sprocket carriers on the back axle at a rate of about one per season when my quad was all together before,  somehow i wasnt to thrilled at adding in another weak point to the mix,  besides right now the bike is all apart probably till spring time while i gather up all the parts n pieces i need to replace courtesy of an $@%^@ little brother and a house fire.

Larry Wiechman-- i got your PM,  and i may go that route just to have a spare back-up part on hand,  i've broken baskets before in the 250's i used to run,  so an extra part or two, that i know to break at times is a good idea. 

As for now, seems i have plenty of time to work on that kicker fix with the dremel once it charges back up, as well as look into stator and cdi ideas (will be posting on that a little later)
again thanks for the great responses here guys,  I've been learning LOADS of stuff about my K5 motor that years ago no one even thought to ask about,  with the help of these boards i mean to make sure my K5 Tecate smokes everthing i come up against at the local riding spots *evil grin*

Offline alward25

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 05:47:17 PM »
I did that once a long time ago on my old Quadzilla and came up with a good fix that worked for at least the 5 years I had it after I fixed it. I clamped the broken piece back in place matching it along the break. I then ran a tap through the hole on the backside of the basket and cut some good threads and used a countersunk allen head bolt and ran that in with some lock-tight. Sounds a little weird but if you have the room on the backside it worked great and was a cheap fix! :-D There is my 2 bits. Using an impact gun or spending $20 on a clutch holder might be a good investment too... just saying....I broke mine taking off my basket. Those posts are not designed to have a small pry bar wedged in to hold the basket while you bust the nut loose. That is what happened to me....no accusation intended.
Good luck!
"Let there be light"

Offline -Kama-

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 06:47:49 PM »
yeah a tool is definitely a must have,  i made mine from a stack of old "steels"and a cheap Taiwan drop wrench :P