Author Topic: At a crossroad...........  (Read 4479 times)

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
At a crossroad...........
« on: October 08, 2009, 01:45:28 AM »
So I have this bike in a box that was a 2002 KX250 w/a 500 in it when I bought it.  I won't call into question the ancestry of the moron...... er........ guy that built it BUT......... he did a lousy  :mrgreen: rig job.  Here's the low down:

The engine cases are not real good.  1- the hole for the kick starter spring is broken, 2- the drain plug is stripped, and the best part is that HE USED A DREMEL TO CUT DOWN THE REAR MOUNT!!!  Not only is it a lousy job but he must have gotten through the case because there is JB Weld in the corner. 

Am I @#$%ed or what?

Here's my dilema:  Do I buy used cases or sacrifice my '89 KX500?  I tried to sell the '89 in late summer and couldn't move it at even $900.

On another question, which is a better idea:  A- cut down the new cases to fit the swingarm or B- cut down the swingarm to fit the cases?

I really need to get this thing done by spring.  Any words of encouragement are greatly appreciated because I feel the urge to put it all in a dumpster and forget about it.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline Larry Wiechman

Re: At a crossroad...........
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 11:27:31 AM »
Crim,
 Chill out, nothing wrong with those cases that can't be cured with TIG welder and mill. I'll send a PM.

Larry

Offline teamwsr

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:26:32 AM »
Crim,

"On another question, which is a better idea:  A- cut down the new cases to fit the swingarm or B- cut down the swingarm to fit the cases"

You want to cut down your swing arm, it's actually very easy and you leave all the mounting strength in your motor. I have done it to a 2003 KX250 and it came out cherry. If I can ever fiqure out how to post pics I will put a pic of the bike up.
Ron

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 03:38:37 AM »
You have to have 10 posts to post pictures.
KX 500 Rider

Offline teamwsr

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »
Sweet, I will quit trying to fiqure it out then. :roll: and now I have two posts.

Ron