Author Topic: gas leak need help i have problems  (Read 1630 times)

Offline jdb1989

• Live every day like its your last
gas leak need help i have problems
« on: September 25, 2009, 05:24:24 AM »
ok when i lean my bike to the left gas leaks out the over flow it doesnt do it when it is straight up. any suggestions?
DG@F RIDER

Offline DoldGuy

Re: gas leak need help i have problems
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 07:19:57 AM »
Adjust your carb float level.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 08:40:34 AM »
If you are leaning it over past where you can sit on the seat, it will always leak gas from the overflow. On rare occasions a carb will leak on no angle, and you can tap the bowl to get the floats to seat. If its stuck, there's debris in there holding it open.
  I have had to set the floats more than once, or I guess that would be called, reset the floats. Somehow, they do come out of adjustment, like Doldguy said. Getting them right makes a noticeable difference in engine performance. It also helps to fix some bike's warm-up traits like plug fouling, almost flooding at start-up, or being cold-natured. For me, anyway, floats are a crucial baseline.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 11:38:59 PM »
AS Hillclimb mentioned, debris can cause this, before making any adjustments, I would get the needle and seat perfectly clean, including the petcock screen and the fuel hose first. Then if needed make adjustments.
 Happy Riding.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.