Author Topic: Shut off your fuel when not in use? Is it necessary?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline mrhoney

Shut off your fuel when not in use? Is it necessary?
« on: September 17, 2009, 03:05:10 PM »
The previous owner of my KX500 never shut the fuel switch off- ever.  It has a large IMS desert tank on it and I've followed suite - mainly becuase the switch is not used to being moved any longer and I don't want to take a chance on overpowering it in turning it and off.

Anyone else keep theirs on all of the time?  Is there a down side to this?  I figure as long as the float valve is working and the fuel is stablized, there shouldn't be a problem - but it's caused me to wonder for my other machines - maybe there is no real reason to turning it off.

Any input?

I did a search of the forums and didn't get any hits on this topic.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: Shut off your fuel when not in use? Is it necessary?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »
you will know how good you seat and floats are.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 03:21:04 PM »
I shut mine off all the time. I like to run my bike with the fuel shut off until it leans out before I haul it anywhere. My dad owned an 8N ford tractor and if you didn't shut the fuel off on it after useing it you would end up with all of the fuel in the oil pan. I learned to shut the fuel off on things that have the ability. Besides, they didn't put the shut off valve on them just to make your life easyer when changing the fuel line!
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline toomany

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 03:40:16 PM »
On my dirt bikes (Kx500, Kx125) I'll shut the fuel off when tailering, storing, removing the tank or I'm done riding for the day. When I stop to take a break, I'll leave it on (one of the guys I ride with shuts his off everytime we stop...seems to always forget to turn it back on). I'll also shut it off if I need to lay the bike over and can't remove the tank. I'll also shut it off and run most of the gas out of it. If it's going to be more than a few days beforre I will run them again...I'll drain the float bowl.

On my snowmobiles (700XcSp, 600XcSp), the fuel gets shut off for storage only. Even then I shut if off...run the carbs dry and drain the tank. Other than that it's always on.

My street bike (Cbr1000) always gets left on, unless I'm putting it up for the winter. Then again it's shut off, run dry and drain the tank.

The sleds and bike have a vacuum fuel pump, so fuel shouldn't flow to the carb without the motor running/turning over. The dirt bikes rely on gravity to fill the carb. If the float is sticking or out of adjustment it'll keep running.

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 03:51:27 PM »
toomany
If your carbs are lower then your gas level in tank you will have fuel in motor if you have bad seat & needle.

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 04:08:44 PM »
Some of the worse varneshed up carbs I have seen are from sitting with the fuel on. 

I have also had a dew of my vintage bikes fill. Yes FILL the crank case with fuel. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 04:10:43 PM by Motorrad »

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
I shut my fuel cock when trailering, or at the end of the day's riding, it's just a good preventitive method against allowing raw fuel to weep into your crankcases, and or out the bowl overflow
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline mrhoney

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 01:40:19 AM »
If I have a bad seat / needle - then I'd have a problem regardless of shutting off the fuel valve just after use right?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 01:59:28 AM »
It's routine for me, kill switch-shut off fuel.  If my bike is not running the fuel is shut off.
KX 500 Rider

Offline azracer19

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 07:38:24 AM »
On the 500 i ride it with the fuel off when im done riding ( close to the truck ) the 450 you have to shut it off it will fload and not start the next time you ride

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 11:01:07 AM »
 The petcock lever on my bike moves stiff, so I thought I would try an experiment. Except for over the winter, I leave my fuel turned on. I have been doing this for three years, yes I know " IM DOING IT WRONG ! "  but I have had no problems. My motor didnt blow up, the earth didnt stop revolving and my bike didnt careen into a busload of virgin nuns. Nothing happened. I dont suggest this for anyone else, I am just stating  that when my needle and seat function correctly the fuel flow stops.
  ( did I just ask for a spanking from all the members ? )
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 05:04:52 PM »
I took my fuel shutoff apart, cleaned the screen, and polished the teflon cup and insert.  Now, my shutoff valve is real easy to to turn on and off.  I shut off my fuel just prior to killing the engine.
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline 95formula847

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 08:49:59 AM »
i took mine apart and cleaned it and now it is easy and smooth moving
1991 KX500
2003 ZX12R