Author Topic: Just bought a mint 2003 K5 today, not as much power as expected?? have pics :)  (Read 22288 times)

Offline Polar-Bus

Rich, you think I should send it out to be fixed or buy a new one?

Here's one on ebay for $500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-OEM-2004-KAWASAKI-KX-500-CYLINDER-11005-1564-KX500_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2302cdbca3QQitemZ150370892963QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Jeff, it's a tough call.... I honestly think to repair your cylinder, including some weld repair, i'm going to throw out an educated guess, that the cost is going to be upwards of $300+, and shipping, and you will be down for a month . Its odd that piston broke the way it did, and there is not a lot more damage.  It's almost always the skirt that granades.

Maybe ship the cyl to US Chrome, for just an estimate, then make your decision.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:52:08 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
If you buy a new cylinder I'll buy your old one if you what to sell it.

Offline 93cbra

Ok thanks man, I'll keep that in mind.

Jeff

Motorrad

Keep in mind the aftermarket plating is much better quality than any of the OEM plating... so buying a new one may not be the best route

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Max Power, they are fairly inexpensive, two week turn-around on mine, they stood behind their emailed quote, they are familiar with fixing the exhaust bridges. Use Wiseco piston top-end kit. Best piston with best gaskets, Cometic. Definately re-plate what you have. Ebay can burn you, with a similar cylinder or one in worse condition.

There's a whole thread about which plater everyone likes.

Offline 93cbra

great thanks!

Offline barryadam

Jeff,

Status?

Didja get the plating/repair or another cylinder?
Or has everything been stored for the winter?

By the way, did you get to try Rich's machine with his "new underware" suggestion?  Did he show you some ice tires?

Barry
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

Offline 93cbra

Yeah, unfortunately it's away for the winter (funds right now are tight), time to take the sleds out anyways  :-D . I'm kinda thinking of sending the cylinder out to Eric Gorr for a big bore kit (since I have to pay to get it fixed anyways). Not sure if this is the right move or not.

I wasn't able to ride Rich's bike, it was raining pretty hard out that day, too bad I was really looking forward to it. The ice tires were nice! Would definitely like to get some of those in the future.

Offline Good

• Yo.
I'm kinda in your boat.  I can BARELY get the front end up in 2nd.  Desperately in need of a good rebuild!  I crave the power these guys talk about, and I remember... :|

Offline Packman

Yeah, unfortunately it's away for the winter (funds right now are tight), time to take the sleds out anyways  :-D . I'm kinda thinking of sending the cylinder out to Eric Gorr for a big bore kit (since I have to pay to get it fixed anyways). Not sure if this is the right move or not.

I wasn't able to ride Rich's bike, it was raining pretty hard out that day, too bad I was really looking forward to it. The ice tires were nice! Would definitely like to get some of those in the future.

Big bore kit from what has and is being posted on this forum you need to keep a standard bore.

Offline 93cbra

Not sure I understand what you're saying?

Offline Polar-Bus

BUMP !!

Jeff, don't forget the ice will be here soon ! Get the dam thing re-plated/ big-bored whatever !!! Get er' done dude !!!   :)
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1

Offline 93cbra

LOL! I think she's away for the winter. No cashola right now, I have a few snowmobile engines in need of rebuilding too. Got some good snow tonight, you get much down there?

Offline Polar-Bus

LOL! I think she's away for the winter. No cashola right now, I have a few snowmobile engines in need of rebuilding too. Got some good snow tonight, you get much down there?

about 4" I still need to get my sled out from storage. I have to do a few mods. Looks like sled season is going to be lagging this year unless we get a lot of cold soon...
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1