Author Topic: a working compresion release is here  (Read 43116 times)

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Re: a working compresion release is here
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2009, 08:03:10 AM »

You do have to reset the valve if the engine fires and doesn't start. That is a small inconveniance. The remotely opperated valve solves that problem.
   I am currently working on a completely automatic decompression valve. All you would have to do is kick the bike like a KX450f.

JFAB
[/quote]

I will post a little more on this later. Does anyone have any thought along these lines...good idea, bad idea, concerns?
JFAB
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 09:53:40 AM by jfabmotorsports.com »
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline gianni2takt

« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2009, 09:56:46 AM »
if you have the blue deco valve from jonsered , you dont have to reset the valve after not starting because the holes on the side are bigger . but the still valves have smaler holes but you can make them bigger and dril more holes in it like i did by my 570cc , and i do not most reset the valve after not starting and reset itselvs after starting

Offline demographic

« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2009, 10:16:11 PM »
if you have the blue deco valve from jonsered , you dont have to reset the valve after not starting because the holes on the side are bigger . but the still valves have smaler holes but you can make them bigger and dril more holes in it like i did by my 570cc , and i do not most reset the valve after not starting and reset itselvs after starting

Does the Jonsered (and I assume that Husqvarna will be the same cos J Reds have been bought out by Husky and often pretty much the same saw with a different colour) valve have the same thread diameter and pitch as the Stihl one?

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2009, 01:34:06 AM »
Does the Jonsered (and I assume that Husqvarna will be the same cos J Reds have been bought out by Husky and often pretty much the same saw with a different colour) valve have the same thread diameter and pitch as the Stihl one?

They do have the same threads. They are almost identical. The Stihl does have smaller holes than the others. I have used both and did not notice a big difference in kicking effort. I went back to the Stihl valve with the black knob on my bike. I didn't like the blue knob.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 03:17:08 PM by jfabmotorsports.com »

Offline demographic

« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2009, 06:00:00 AM »

They do have she same threads. They are almost identical. The Stihl does have smaller holes than the others. I have used both and did not notice a big difference in kicking effort. I went back to the Stihl valve with the black knob on my bike. I didn't like the blue knob.

Fair comment as the black one does look more like it was put there by Kawasaki, there's a local tool dealer that sells J reds, Huskies and Stihls so I should have a fair choice if I go for it.

I'm not dead keen on the idea of drilling a hole in my cylinder head though.

« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2009, 09:38:35 AM »
Fair comment as the black one does look more like it was put there by Kawasaki, there's a local tool dealer that sells J reds, Huskies and Stihls so I should have a fair choice if I go for it.

I was a little sceptical at first. A chain saw gets used a lot more hours than KX500 and they are still useing them. That was how I justified it in the begenning. Now that I have one there is no going back.

JFAB

Offline demographic

« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2009, 07:58:16 PM »

I was a little sceptical at first. A chain saw gets used a lot more hours than KX500 and they are still using them. That was how I justified it in the beginning. Now that I have one there is no going back.

JFAB

Sorry, I didn't make my post very clear, I'm not bothered about someone else who knows exactly where to drill the hole doing it, I just don't know exactly where to do it myself and by the time I would have sent the head over to the US and back plus the cost of the work, its more money that I currently have spare.

I really like the idea and considering I ride mine on the road I don't want to be wearing massive clumpy MX boots when I do. Having a decomp valve would make a huge difference to it.

Just have to save my pennies up.

Offline gianni2takt

« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2009, 06:48:31 AM »
I never thought I could be sold on the comp release. Who ever it was that came up with that is a real thinker. I like it and I would have one on my bike for sure.
that real thinker was me

Offline gianni2takt

« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2009, 06:53:53 AM »

I was a little sceptical at first. A chain saw gets used a lot more hours than KX500 and they are still using them. That was how I justified it in the beginning. Now that I have one there is no going back.

JFAB

Sorry, I didn't make my post very clear, I'm not bothered about someone else who knows exactly where to drill the hole doing it, I just don't know exactly where to do it myself and by the time I would have sent the head over to the US and back plus the cost of the work, its more money that I currently have spare.

I really like the idea and considering I ride mine on the road I don't want to be wearing massive clumpy MX boots when I do. Having a decomp valve would make a huge difference to it.

Just have to save my pennies up.
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,5255.0.html  in this topic on page 5 you can see how you can make it yourself :wink:

Offline demographic

« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2009, 08:11:07 AM »
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,5255.0.html  in this topic on page 5 you can see how you can make it yourself :wink:

I haven't been on this forum for a while and missed out on that thread, thanks very much for the link.

What a great idea.

« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2009, 12:50:45 PM »
demo,  I did misunderstand. Sorry for that. The infor that you were linked to will get you there yourself.
JFAB

Offline demographic

« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2009, 07:55:38 PM »
demo,  I did misunderstand. Sorry for that. The infor that you were linked to will get you there yourself.
JFAB

No worries at all, we are all here to help each other as far as I see it. This forum has changed a huge amount in the last few years and is now more of a source of technical information than ever.

stewart

« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2010, 04:08:39 AM »
here are some pictures of the high quality work from larry wiechman ,,very nice job on these heads modded for the release   thanks larry great work

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2010, 04:58:59 AM »
 :cry:....  8-)
    Thou Shall not Covet... Thou Shalt not Covet....

Tuck\o/

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2010, 05:08:14 AM »
Is that one from my bike???
KX 500 Rider