Author Topic: a working compresion release is here  (Read 43135 times)

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Re: a working compresion release is here
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2009, 03:42:53 PM »
Motorrad,
    It is hard to tell from the video. I was only trying to make the point that a shot fat guy could start the K5 without boot, from a seated position while keeping both hands on the bars.
    Yes you have to hold it while you do have to hold it while you are kicking it. That feature in itself was another reason I thought it would be a good idea to have full control over the valve. The chain saw valve that I installed on the AF will reset if the engine sneezes or hits and does not stay running for whatever reason, and we all know that happens. After having to hunt for the hot start button on my YZ426, which is on the carb right next to the choke knob, I realized that for me it would be better to have it on the bars. It my not make a lot of difference in a 2 hour hare scramble or a long distance race but I race MX and if I stall it in a berm a few second can make a lot of difference in a 6 lap race with a 2 min lap.
    I have used it with the clutch side Moose and ASV lever and the chrome one that comes in the kit.

JFAB
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 03:46:20 PM by jfabmotorsports.com »
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2009, 12:13:32 AM »
I like the idea of the cable/handle bar controlled release.  With my right knee/leg problems I have to use my right hand to assist getting my foot onto the kicker.  A hot start controlled release on the left handle bar would be ideal for me.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:37:27 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline gianni2takt

« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2009, 04:26:32 AM »
Motorrad,
    It is hard to tell from the video. I was only trying to make the point that a shot fat guy could start the K5 without boot, from a seated position while keeping both hands on the bars.
    Yes you have to hold it while you do have to hold it while you are kicking it. That feature in itself was another reason I thought it would be a good idea to have full control over the valve. The chain saw valve that I installed on the AF will reset if the engine sneezes or hits and does not stay running for whatever reason, and we all know that happens. After having to hunt for the hot start button on my YZ426, which is on the carb right next to the choke knob, I realized that for me it would be better to have it on the bars. It my not make a lot of difference in a 2 hour hare scramble or a long distance race but I race MX and if I stall it in a berm a few second can make a lot of difference in a 6 lap race with a 2 min lap.
    I have used it with the clutch side Moose and ASV lever and the chrome one that comes in the kit.

JFAB
did you have ever gotten the remote lever adapter designed and tested for the compression release valve that i build for my bike?

« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2009, 04:53:58 AM »
gianni2takt,
    Back when the whole cable operated compression release valve was being kicked around I had thought a couple of designs through. The adapter for yours was one of them but due to the cost of manufacturing I decided to go version that had already been tested for years in other applications.
    I installed the "chain saw" valve in my personal KX500AF and it works flawlessly. The lever/cable operated one in the k5 bleeds a little more compression and works a little better in my opinion. I do like the cable idea.
   Larry is working on a his version of an adapter to remotely operate his compression release. When he gets it perfected I am sure it will be up to par with all of his work.

Here is a picture of the one that I came up with for the saw valve.

JFAB
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:58:48 AM by jfabmotorsports.com »

Offline gianni2takt

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2009, 06:35:05 AM »
gianni2takt,
    Back when the whole cable operated compression release valve was being kicked around I had thought a couple of designs through. The adapter for yours was one of them but due to the cost of manufacturing I decided to go version that had already been tested for years in other applications.
    I installed the "chain saw" valve in my personal KX500AF and it works flawlessly. The lever/cable operated one in the k5 bleeds a little more compression and works a little better in my opinion. I do like the cable idea.
   Larry is working on a his version of an adapter to remotely operate his compression release. When he gets it perfected I am sure it will be up to par with all of his work.

Here is a picture of the one that I came up with for the saw valve.

JFAB

looks fantastic!!!!

Offline 3Razors

« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »
Any problems with carbon buildup blocking the tiny hole in the head?

« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »
I have a little over 20 hrs on the '95 and it still works like it did when I installed it. I have the engine apart too offen to tell on the AF with chain saw valve.

JFAB

Offline demographic

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2009, 01:27:32 AM »
What model chain saw are these decompressors off?

« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2009, 01:45:10 AM »
The ones that I use are for a Stihl 650 660...I think. I went to the saw shop and told him I needed a decompression valve for a Stihl and that is what I got. I have sence bought the cheaper blue ones off e-bay. They work just the same. I buy most of them from this guy....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Decompression-valve-fits-Husqvarna-Jonsered-Dolmar_W0QQitemZ390128244072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad5749568

JFAB
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 01:48:40 AM by jfabmotorsports.com »

Offline demographic

« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2009, 02:08:07 AM »
The ones that I use are for a Stihl 650 660...I think. I went to the saw shop and told him I needed a decompression valve for a Stihl and that is what I got. I have sence bought the cheaper blue ones off e-bay. They work just the same. I buy most of them from this guy....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Decompression-valve-fits-Husqvarna-Jonsered-Dolmar_W0QQitemZ390128244072QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad5749568

JFAB

Great stuff, thanks.
What thread pitch and diameter are they?

I've been looking on Google and I spotted a patent for a different type of compression release that goes in the sparkplug hole and the plug goes through it, Unfortunately I can't see the picture properly to fully understand it. I'll see if I can sign up to it.

This is the plug one...
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6240888/description.html

Offline demographic

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2009, 02:16:37 AM »
I've just signed up so I could view that Patent properly and I'm not dead impressed with its design, you would need a long plug by the looks of it, also you would have to drill the plug threaded area.

« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2009, 02:20:24 AM »
The thread is 10mm x 1.0 on the saw valves.

From the looks of the plug type he is more than likely counter boreing the spark plug seat and then drilling a hole along side of the plug bosses threads and then routing the gas to the valve in a similar way that I have done with the remote valves. The plug is probably the same size as stock.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 02:28:12 AM by jfabmotorsports.com »

Offline demographic

« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2009, 03:12:39 AM »
The thread is 10mm x 1.0 on the saw valves.

From the looks of the plug type he is more than likely counter boreing the spark plug seat and then drilling a hole along side of the plug bosses threads and then routing the gas to the valve in a similar way that I have done with the remote valves. The plug is probably the same size as stock.

I don't suppose you have seen one with the little blue knob removed? My KMX125 from many years ago had a handlebar mounted choke that was rather handy as I remember it and I wonder if it would fit.

Offline KawPatty

« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2009, 07:52:41 AM »
Do you have to reset the valve if the bike fires but does not start or will it stat set?

« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2009, 07:57:16 AM »
Do you have to reset the valve if the bike fires but does not start or will it stat set?

You do have to reset the valve if the engine fires and doesn't start. That is a small inconveniance. The remotely opperated valve solves that problem.
   I am currently working on a completely automatic decompression valve. All you would have to do is kick the bike like a KX450f.

JFAB