Author Topic: Leaky Pipe Fix  (Read 11617 times)

Offline Speedway73

Re: Leaky Pipe Fix
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 06:29:57 PM »
Veerrrryyy nice!! How much ????

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 01:13:12 AM »
Can we get this post loaded into Larry's forum of mods with the compression release?  Seems like a lot of interest in this, but a price would nice too.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline crazyolbastard

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 08:44:08 AM »
I agree.  Larry,  you can go into buisness with this one.
Crazy Ol Bastard

Offline cutting torch

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 03:09:50 PM »
Larry...... I want it!!!! I'll be a guinea pig.

Did you get my check?

torch

Offline junk man

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 06:21:09 PM »
Grate idea 8-) is it a speedy sleeve from a bearing house  :?

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 05:00:47 AM »
not a speedy sleeve. note previous post.

really nice work. did you make the stainless sleeve or was it a part from something else?

2.5 inch diameter 304 stainless steel bar, lathe and time. :-D

Offline B2

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 01:04:34 PM »
Larry obviously did a great job with this.  I would like to do something with mine while I have the cylinder off and am curious regarding options.  It seems someone could produce a sleeve easier without the flange Larry milled into his.  One size sleeve should practically work for everyone if someone could produce it.  Is that something a machine should should be able to do reasonably, bore the exhaust area and press in a milled sleeve?  What options do the non-machinists have?  Can the grooves be filled with high-temp RTV sealant and allowed to cure prior to installing the pipe?  Maybe fill the grooves with JB Weld?  Thanks for your thoughts, Kenny

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 02:32:16 PM »
Quick question for someone to answer: with this being stainless steel, could you get your cylinder re-nikasiled without the worries of this piece dissinagrating in the acid bath.  I know that I had time-serts put into an old cylinder and they were gone after the acid bath, but cant remember if they were steel or stainless steel.  ( I believe one will last and the other wont? )
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 03:52:20 AM »
Larry obviously did a great job with this.  I would like to do something with mine while I have the cylinder off and am curious regarding options.  It seems someone could produce a sleeve easier without the flange Larry milled into his.  One size sleeve should practically work for everyone if someone could produce it.  Is that something a machine should should be able to do reasonably, bore the exhaust area and press in a milled sleeve?  What options do the non-machinists have?  Can the grooves be filled with high-temp RTV sealant and allowed to cure prior to installing the pipe?  Maybe fill the grooves with JB Weld?  Thanks for your thoughts, Kenny

Good thinking on this, Kenny.

I've been trying to make this cheaper and easier for everyone.
I use high-temp RTV on every pipe, even if they're not worn. Improves the o-ring seal and limits the rattle and movement that causes further wear.

For cylinders that are already badly worn, I'd like to try a cheap, hillbilly fix. I'd make a round Delrin plastic plug the diameter of a new, stock port. The plug would have a slight taper (1 deg. per side draft) to ease removal. The plug would serve as a mold core to form a repair using JB Weld. No machine tools involved!
 If someone wants to test it, I'll make the plug and do the work. You pay shipping and write a test report here.

Larry

Offline B2

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 04:25:06 AM »
Larry,

If you are suggesting someone send you their cylinder for you to work on, I will be pleased to ship mine to you.  My problem is it will be a few months before I am able to write a test report.  I am recovering from eye surgery last week and will be unable to ride for at least 3 months.  If you are receptive to working on my cylinder and think you can evaluate the results of the repair on your bench, let me know.  Thanks, Kenny

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 03:50:54 AM »
Kenny,
 You must live in the south!
Where I live, in three months it's time to go ice racing.

This experiment may turn out to be an easy, low buck fix or it might be crap. One test is worth a thousand expert opinions. :-D

Larry

Offline mwalker04

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 06:56:55 AM »
Larry, you should manufacture these, I'd pay good money for one, beats buying a cylinder or paying somone to attempt a repair.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 03:07:07 PM »
Excellent job.
Just curious, how did you bore the outlet?
Custom fixture, special tooling, or CNC?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »
Excellent job.
Just curious, how did you bore the outlet?
Custom fixture, special tooling, or CNC?

Just a sine plate on a Bridgeport