Author Topic: 87 k5 wheel fitment  (Read 1989 times)

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
87 k5 wheel fitment
« on: August 04, 2009, 06:36:15 AM »
hey guys, does anyone know if a 87 k5 18" wheel will fit on the newer bikes without any mods? mine is a 91. if they fit , do they need a special spacer?

thanks, MADDOGGY

Offline toomany

Re: 87 k5 wheel fitment
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:46:59 AM »
The brake rotor may be differnt.  I don't know if the bolt pattern for it would be differnt as well. The sporockets are the same, I know that much. Looking at the parts websites, the two years have differnt part numbers. I'm guessing that has to do with the axle change and newer style brake caliper. However, 86-93 take the same wheel bearings. So that means the axle is the same diameter. The only "spacer" my 87 has, is the piece that the claiper bolts to...other than the bearing seals, if you can call them spacers.

I'm willing to bet that it will work for you. If your rotor does not bolt onto that hub, I'll be surprised. If the rotors aren't very far off in diameter, you could run the smaller one with your caliper. Wouldn't be the ideal setup, but it could work. Might need to dedicate a set of pads stickly for that wheel though if that happens.

Offline k5for-life

• its not what you ride its that you ride thats all
Re: 87 k5 wheel fitment
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 09:56:38 PM »
hey guys, does anyone know if a 87 k5 18" wheel will fit on the newer bikes without any mods? mine is a 91. if they fit , do they need a special spacer?

thanks, MADDOGGY
the 88 fits
in thee begining man become of the dirt and in thee end he shall return to the dirt in the mean time we shall give him a kx500 and the dirt shall be his play ground