Author Topic: What year seat will work?  (Read 3364 times)

Offline toomany

What year seat will work?
« on: July 12, 2009, 11:10:39 AM »
I'm putting together sort of a franken bike...newer frame, older motor. Some of the older suspension, some of the newer. I ran into problems when trying to install the seat. The one I have is an 87, the frame/subframe I'm using is a 92. Along with the 92 plastics. I could use the 87's tank, but the seat does not fit the subframe....and it's not even close to the 92's tank. Looking on ebay, I see mostly older styles (would be great if I were using the old frame), and a few newer ones. What years will work for my project? I can't find a part number for the pan. But from the aftermarket covers (lots of thoes on ebay) I see they are the same for 88 and up. Is the entire seat the same? Or is there a break somewhere?

I've been finding out that things would have been much easier had I started with a 88+ bike....rather than piece taking two and making one good one.

Offline Speedway73

Re: What year seat will work?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 05:21:18 PM »
I always admire a guy for taking what he's got and making something from it.

I've got a seat from a KX500 but not sure what year. I want to say it's from an '88 or newer. I can send you pics of it if you think it might work.

Roger

Offline toomany

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 06:27:05 PM »
That'd be great if you could do that. I want to say that an 88+ will work, seems 99.99% of the parts out there are for thoes years.

Offline kx250.1698

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 07:37:32 PM »
hi,

i think you should use a 92 seat wit fit best on the 92, i have a 93 the seats are lot smaller then the 80`s . 91 to 93 kx125/250 seat will fit

Offline Jopiz

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 02:55:08 AM »
Basicly you can fit any seat you want. With some skills and patience you can modify nearly any seat to fit. I got a seat from 2003 kx250 on my 1991 kx. Looks wicked with 03-07 plastic set.
I can say it takes a lot of time and headache to make it fit nicely. You can modify the brackets pretty easily. Just take your seat cover off and drill the rivets off. You can then make a brackets that fit to the tank and subframe. Position your seat carefully and make marks where you want them.
Then attach them to seat.

-J
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:57:21 AM by Jopiz »

Offline kx250.1698

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 03:38:20 AM »
Basicly you can fit any seat you want. With some skills and patience you can modify nearly any seat to fit. I got a seat from 2003 kx250 on my 1991 kx. Looks wicked with 03-07 plastic set.
I can say it takes a lot of time and headache to make it fit nicely. You can modify the brackets pretty easily. Just take your seat cover off and drill the rivets off. You can then make a brackets that fit to the tank and subframe. Position your seat carefully and make marks where you want them.

-J

ey can you7 add pics please

Offline toomany

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 09:44:31 AM »

-J

I'd like to see some pictures of that too. I have no problem modifying the parts to work for my application.

Offline Speedway73

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 06:35:23 PM »
Here's pics of the seat. It's in great shape. Has a Technosel gripper seat cover. Pan & mounts are in great shape too.

Offline toomany

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 07:12:48 AM »
How much would you want for the seat? Looks to be in very good shape still. If you'd like to sell....send me a PM or email.

Offline Speedway73

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 11:54:13 PM »
How much would you want for the seat? Looks to be in very good shape still. If you'd like to sell....send me a PM or email.
PM sent.