Author Topic: Looking to improve low end torque  (Read 2071 times)

Offline SlideWays

• Real Men Ride 2-Strokes
Looking to improve low end torque
« on: June 25, 2009, 02:47:29 PM »
I'm looking to improve the low end power on my 98 KX250. Currently the bike is set up as follows:

Carb: PWK 38 mm carb with power jet, jetting is pilot jet #45, #55 power jet, 152 main jet, needle jet is stock NOZG 2nd groove from the top.

Gearing: 13/50
Stock pipe with FMF turbine core 2 S/A tailpipe. I have tried the P/C platinum pipe with no change in low end torque.

Bike runs good but I want more low end and better throttle response, there is a very slight hesitation when you twist the grip, not normally a problem except for two spots on a local track I ride.
There are jumps immediately after the corners and the slight hesitation has caused my to wear the family jewels for earrings  :-o on several occasions cause I can't generate enough speed out of the corners quick enough to clear the jump cleanly.

My Son's 2000 KX 250 kicks like a mule as soon as you crack the throttle and keeps kicking hard all the way thru the gears and I have no problems clearing these jumps when I ride his bike so I don't think it's my skill level (or lack of) or my riding style that causes me to shoot the marbles to the moon when on the 98.

I've played with the jetting without any real improvement in response and have thought about installing a reed spacer but not sure if this will improve the response or make it more mellow I have also considered dropping down a couple of teeth on the rear since at my age (48) WOT is usually done as a result of a hand cramp :-D

Anyone try a reed spacer on a lowly 250 or have any other thoughts on how to improve throttle response?

Thanks,
Slideways
Over Confidence x Harsh Reality = Face Plant