Author Topic: Favorite Spark Arrestor  (Read 6475 times)

gmtexas

Favorite Spark Arrestor
« on: January 02, 2004, 02:00:50 PM »
I have to buy a spark arrestor to ride in state and private parks. Is there any performance or sound differences between PC or FMF. I think I also read about a weld on sparky in the forums somewhere. I am currently running the PC " with the big dent" model pipe.

Thank You: Greg :roll:

Offline demographic

Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 01:48:41 AM »
Has anyone seen or used one of the new Pro Circuit 296 silencers?

They have a spark arrester built into them and don't seem as long as the normal sparky equiped silencers.

I would value anyones opinion on them as they are aparently quieter than standard as well and as I use my KX on the road it might keep Dibble off my back :D

Rick

Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 02:28:33 AM »
FMF Turbine Core II.  All I have ever used, and always passes the sound test at the ISDE events which is required to enjoy the festivities.  On some other PC equiped models, I have seen folks stuff rags in the air box in order to get the bike to pass, and then use the first few minutes before their start to covertly remove the rags for running the event.

Rick

Offline alan

• Administrator
Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 02:40:33 AM »
I put a FMF Turbine Core II on my 01 before my Galmis trip and I was pleased with the results! I didn't see any loss in power and it was quit a bit quieter than the OEM muffler!

Alan :D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Sharc

Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 05:39:10 AM »
I've used both on my 2002 K5 and I think the FMF was quieter and flowed a little better too. I like the PC look better, but the FMF's a better performance choice.

Sharc

kawdude

Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 08:50:40 AM »
Does anyone have the Zip\Ty silencer?  What's that like?

teamgreen500

Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 11:54:47 AM »
Stock Silencer with welded on "Sparky" is the Hot Ticket. A stocker is pretty darn quiet IF you keep it packed.

The Sparky causes virtually NO power loss.

Manny

Rick

Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 03:17:35 AM »
Manny,

do you use the Sparky with the turbine or screen?  Not sure which version is still produced, as the only Sparky I bought years ago had a screen and was terrible.  Someone said FMF incorporated the turbine design to eliminate the screen, but never paid much attention.

Just currious, as I have several stock muffler laying around, and wouldn't mind experimenting with a weld on Sparky unit if I could find a used Sparky...

Rick

teamgreen500

Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2004, 05:06:18 AM »
Rick,

I've got the "Screen" and I've had no-problems. The Sparky is welded to the rear of the silencer and is very easily serviced (Which I almost NEVER do!).

Drop me a p.m. if you've got an extra stocker around!

Manny

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2004, 05:15:26 AM »
Same here, I've got the Sparky and never had a problem with the screen.

Offline demographic

Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2004, 05:52:00 AM »
Quote from: teamgreen500
Stock Silencer with welded on "Sparky" is the Hot Ticket. A stocker is pretty darn quiet IF you keep it packed.

My silencer is almost new so well packed but I figure you mean pretty quiet for a motocrosser, unfortunatly I am expected to be quieter cos mine gets used on the road and officer dibble is getting a bit snotty about people using race pipes on the road :roll: .

KXs don't come with road legal pipes so I don't want to get stopped for it cos otherwise I get issued with a rectification notice and I won't be able to rectify it to dibbles satisfaction.

Mind I am still allowed a two stroke 500 motocrosser on the road so it can't be all that bad :D

91kx

Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2004, 01:26:04 AM »
Hey rick, were the bikes with the airboxes stuffed KX500's.Also did they have the new PC 296 sparky.PC makes 2 sparkies for the kx500.I want to buy one but I'd like to know which one is the quietest.I have an old PC mx silencer(freshly packed) but it's not exactly quiet.Throttlehead.com has them both on sale.

Rick

Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 03:45:27 AM »
Nope, the big KX500 always passes with a few points to spare with the FMF in place.  The problem children seem to be the new four stroke bikes.  Many of them crest the 100 decibel mark regarless of exhaust system.  Not sure how folks have finally addressed this issue, but it certainly has needed addressing.

I have never used a PC spark arrestor on my KX500, as the FMF units last a long time.  My current unit is from my 1999 KX500.  Other than periodic packing, the only other required maintenance is to clean the turbine core with glass bead blasting every year.  

Let us know what you think of the PC unit.

Rick

Offline 2-Stroke Tom

Re: Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »

The Sparky causes virtually NO power loss.

Manny

I'm resurrecting this old thread from who I believe was one of the former Team Green mechanics. When I first bought my ex-Team Green KX500, it had an FMF pipe and turbine core silencer since the professional rider who owned it was sponsored by them. I also got a brand new turbine core with the bike, so I put it on. Here is the brand new turbine core I put on right after I brought her home (mind you, with an FMF woods pipe that Team Green was testing. It does NOT fall on it's face on high RPMs like many I hear claim):

I ride in the desert a lot, and within three months, the pipe was leaking (mind you, this was a professionally jetted bike, and when I did some throttle chops the jetting seemed spot on) all over my swing arm and rear brake.

So, I repacked the silencer and put some RTV around the o-rings and that sealed it up. However, now it's always a pain in the A$$ to break it apart for service. Not to mention, the tire barely rubs the turbine core, which was never an issue with the oem one.

So, I've mentioned this before, I've always wanted the Team Green silencer I would see on Destry Abbott's 500 as well as Danny Hamel's and a few others. They would take the stock silencer (which mine never leaked with new o-rings, never rubbed, etc), shorten it by about three inches, and welded a Cobra Sparky on the back.
Here is a pic of an old Team Green Bike up close to show how they did it:

You can also see it here on this older picture of Destry's race bike:

And, my new toy I picked up off Ebay for $50. It's barely used, and the welds look great. They did it a little different than the Team Green ones, but the end result is the same. Time to repack it, put in new greased up o-rings, and see what she's all about. I put it next to another spare OEM silencer I had laying around for comparison:

Even picked up an NOS sparky replacement core from Ebay before looking through old parts I have and discovered I have several from all the years my dad and I used them when we raced!

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: Favorite Spark Arrestor
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 02:26:02 AM »
Your set up looks great.
I use a FMF Turbine Core II
Never had a performance issue.
Always passes sound inspection.

The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.