Author Topic: Pipe Mount pictures  (Read 3054 times)

Offline vaaprider

• He's Ready
Pipe Mount pictures
« on: June 15, 2009, 05:25:14 AM »
Does anyone have close up pics of the top pipe mount (hangs from backbone above the cylinder head.)? Mine is broken in the middle (half a circle is all that is left) and I would like to fab a new one but I need to know what the original looked like. Thanks

Offline tharden

Re: Pipe Mount pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 07:14:53 AM »
I have had the same problems with my bike and welded a 1/8" piece of plate on it and then it broke.  I later cut off the entire bracket and then made a bracket that wrapped around the frame under the coil with a piece of rubber under it with the isolator mount.  It has not broke thus far and really does a good job at isolating the vibration from the pipe to the frame. 

Offline vaaprider

• He's Ready
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 07:35:00 AM »
That sounds like a winner
Thanks.

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 07:27:26 PM »
I have had the same problems with my bike and welded a 1/8" piece of plate on it and then it broke.  I later cut off the entire bracket and then made a bracket that wrapped around the frame under the coil with a piece of rubber under it with the isolator mount.  It has not broke thus far and really does a good job at isolating the vibration from the pipe to the frame. 

Hello, could you please take some pics of what you're describing here?  If not pics... then perhaps a quick drawing/sketch of what you did?  Thanks man.
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline tharden

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 04:48:00 AM »
I still have not got around to trimming the rubber but here it is.

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »

Thank you soo much for the pics!

So... if I'm reading this paragraph right... what I'm looking at it some sorta metal strap piece, layered with a rubber strap piece underneath of it (in-between the metal of the frame and the metal of the strap)... bent around the frame backbone there?

so... you used the same 1/8" plate metal (mild steel I assume?) for this as well?
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline tharden

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:20:50 PM »
1/8" mild steel 1" wide is what I used.  The idea came from the forever vibrating Harley Davidson.