Author Topic: Massive KIPS play?  (Read 2482 times)

Offline oic0

Massive KIPS play?
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:05:04 PM »
When the motor is off, should I be able to fully open and close the KIPS with my finger? Its just kind of floppin in there. Didn't know if that was how it was supposed to be. I was lookin around in the cylinder trying to figure out the knockin noise when it is running (Praying its not piston slap) and I noticed the KIPS center piece is pretty muchly just free moving. Is it supposed to be like that? and could that cause a knock from the exhaust gasses pounding it upwards as the expell (I can slam it up and make a noise with my finger) or is it supposed to be free moving when the motor is off?
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline KXcam22

Re: Massive KIPS play?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:03:58 PM »
It sounds like the retaining pins that inser into each side of the rop flap may have fallen out.  They follow grooves in the two side drums so that when the side drums rotate, the top flap raises.  If I recall correctly you should not be able to move the top flap at all other than say 0.010" for play and wear. Cam.

Offline oic0

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:08:53 PM »
Yay! that is much much cheaper to repair than piston slap :D also means I was missing out on some top end power. Which means there is more scaryness I haven't yet.

Time to print out some stuff showing how this stuff works and make it a weekend project.
2000 KX500
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 02:20:15 PM »
Also If you can move the valve form fully open to fully closed there is a good chance, like 100%, that the actuating arm is not engaged in the governor. Engines that other people have been in that I have had the pleasure to work on have been in this state. If you don't hold the rode as you tighten the nut it can come out of the slot in the governor. Check the arm, if it moves with no tension you will be removing the clutch cover.

JFAB
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline iambigd

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 02:55:26 AM »
I have some pictures of a new center valve and an old worn center valve.

http://www.getdropbox.com/gallery/127480/1/BigDs K5?h=6aa8d4

I did it as close up as possible so you could see what the worn valve looks like compared to the new one. I was able to take my K5 out after a complete rebuild and it runs like a demon possessed.

Peace

BigD
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:57:44 AM by iambigd »

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 03:32:08 AM »
You dont need to place the whole center assembly ,you can just replace the pins in the sides of the flapper that are worn. Kawi part# 92043-1373 which is the pin that holds the 2 pieces together can be used to replcae the worn pins. Or you can purchase them from Mcmaster-carr size 4mmx24mm. CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline oic0

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 09:05:42 AM »
I piddled with it. It does actuate, just has a lot of play and when it is in the fully closed position the center valve can flop all the way open without moving the arm or rotary parts. I did try manually opening the valves with the motor running to see if the clacking got quieter (Since in the open position it would only be able to wiggle a few mm instead of an inch), didn't affect the sound... so I guess it probably has piston slap AND power valve issues. Eh, I knowingly got this 1k bike instead of a 2k bike figuring it would need some work. Guess its time to do the work now. At least when I freshen it I will know it was done right and it is really 100% fresh.

On a good note, I got the hard to start problem fixed. The air screw was way too lean. I set it to 2 turns out and now it responds crisply and starts 2nd or 3rd kick from cold.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:09:00 AM by oic0 »
2000 KX500
1973 RD350 (In storage)