Author Topic: Do I need to hone my cylinder?  (Read 4329 times)

Offline medicman

Do I need to hone my cylinder?
« on: June 04, 2009, 02:09:30 PM »
My cylinder looks good, still has crosshatch marks, no scoring.Its a steel sleve, should i hone before new piston?

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Re: Do I need to hone my cylinder?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »
 If that was my bike, I would buy a new cylinder, so that I could have an aluminum bore with nikasil on it.
  I think there are posts concerning sleeve problems. But someone must be able to get a steel sleeve to work,at least for a while anyway.
  Hope you are up and running soon.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline medicman

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 02:30:45 PM »
Yea eventuly thats what iam gonna do, full on rebuild with new cylinder. But for now i need to go riding and it worked great with the steel sleeve. I gotta save 550$ for a new cylinder.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
My cylinder looks good, still has crosshatch marks, no scoring.Its a steel sleve, should i hone before new piston?

Do you have a brown oil glaze look in the cylinder walls? If so then a ball hone will remove the glazing. Freshin' up the cross hatch is never a bad idea. Real easy to perform.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 01:39:18 AM »
 I think it would come down to a micrometer, too. The first thing that happens, when I take my cylinder in, is they mic the whole cylinder. Also the piston measurement is so many thousands of clearance to the cylinder, and that measurement is different for steel sleeve, than from nikasil. Tighter tolerances with stock.
  If I know there is not much time on a cylinder, I also visually inspect for wear. It's still sketchy, on what new rings will do to the cylinder, though, but I say "Slap it in there" If it wears out after this season, you still got your money's worth, and you plan on getting a new cylinder anyway. you can always buy an extra base gasket and check piston and cylinder after break-in and redo cross-hatching, if you get a smooth area going.
  how did the piston and rings look?

Offline medicman

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 06:34:04 AM »
Piston looked good, carbon build up on the top, some brown under the rings, not sure if thats normal? small area of "scuffing on the exhaust side, but its smooth to the touch. I think Ill run it and see what happens

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:25:34 AM »
I usually give them a nice light crosshatch by hand using 400 wet & dry paper. After that clean the cylinder really well and you should be good to go.  Being that you have a steel sleeve and recognize that the bike will run much better with a new nikasil cylinder, I wouldn't worry too much about the cylinder clearance and have some fun riding the bike until you can get the new top end. Cam.

Offline medicman

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 01:56:25 PM »
Cool thanks for your help. What would be the teqhnique of doing the cross hatch by hand with the sand paper? dry then wet? or the other way around

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 02:00:55 PM »
Wet with Wd40 as a lube.  Keep slowily spinning the cylinder as you sand with a small piece of Wet&Dry on two or three fingertips, sanding on a 45 degree angle.  Just enough to get rid of the shinyness. Cam.

Offline Jopiz

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 02:47:47 AM »
How can i remove cylinder wall glazing? It's polished. No scratches that i can feel. Visible scratches though is found. Cross-hatch marks are not visible, i can see them only at bottom of the bore. Compression is good. Had leaking head, so coolant entered combustion chamber -> oil film partly flushed away. No seizure marks. Got 175 psi of pressure when i tested with compression gauge.   :|

-J

Offline mr.5thou sand

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 03:40:41 AM »
if u have a steel sleeve bore it out

Offline Jopiz

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 06:04:11 AM »
It's not sleeved cylinder so boring will not be an option. When i closely inspected the cylinder again those cross hatch marks are party visible. Does scotch brite pad work removing the glaze? I've heard some guys talking about using muriatic acid when deglazing cylinder. It's based on muriatic acid eating aluminum. Any experiences?
Using 400 grit paper for refreshing the cross hatch marks sounds pretty odd to me but that was for steel sleeves right? Dont wanna ruin my cylinder :P

-J
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:07:18 AM by Jopiz »

Motorrad

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 07:20:57 AM »
I have used scotchbrite and swimming pool acid with good luck.

Offline awak100

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »
Muriatic acid blended 50/50 with water leave it on about 10 or 15 min then wash off really good soap and water.  Wash cylinder wall pretty good before you apply