Author Topic: Crank question  (Read 2318 times)

Offline medicman

Crank question
« on: May 30, 2009, 04:17:36 AM »
How much paly shoud be in the crank? I removed the top end and was told that side to side play is ok, but up and down is no good?

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Re: Crank question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 02:57:34 PM »
Stewart can tell you the exact number or you can look it up in the manual. I will even post it after I get back from riding tomorrow if someone dosn't get to it first. An old koot told me once that you can't hear .003" but you could hear .004" at the time I was setting up a ford 9 inch for a drag car. The backlash is around .006" depending on the gears. I got out my dial indicator and put .003 in the setup and racked the ring gear back and forth....could not hear it click. I them put .004" in it and it clicked. There you have it useless trivea. If you can hear the rod click you for sure have too much clearence.
   I said all this because I don't know if you have access to a dial indicator and because if something is supposed to have .0015" clearence and it rattles you may as well take it apart before it does it for you!

JFAB
Don't just float through life, make waves!

stewart

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:04:06 PM »
side play .016  to .020......no up and down  play

Offline medicman

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 06:24:29 PM »
So i measure that with feeler gauges? I cant move the rod up or down, but I deff can move it side to side, it also makes the clicking noise side to side. So if i find this to out of spec ( which iam sure it is) with help is this something I can do or should i send it out to erk gorr or someone like that? you guys are rad thanks for the help :-D

Offline medicman

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 11:35:21 AM »
Ok so Iam checking the connecting rod side clearence finally, The manuel has two specks, new and service. Is the service # the max amount of play? If so is this the # i should replace the replace the connecting rod at? thanks for your help guys

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 10:33:59 AM »
Ok so Iam checking the connecting rod side clearence finally, The manuel has two specks, new and service. Is the service # the max amount of play? If so is this the # i should replace the replace the connecting rod at? thanks for your help guys

Once something reaches the max service limit, its time for an O/H.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.