Author Topic: no pull at top end  (Read 2609 times)

Offline slower than u

no pull at top end
« on: May 26, 2009, 06:03:59 AM »
 ok heres what i have,its 2002 kx500 i picked up 3 months ago. the bike has a pc header and pipe on it with boysen reeds,and ran great (power up 3 gears without trying)the first two times i rode it. the next time i took it out it will not power 1st gear. so my mech took it apart (we saw oil from case )and replaced the crank case seal,oil seals and replaced the piston rings while we where in there. he also cleaned the kips, they where covered with carbon build up. well put her back together and still dosen't run as good as she should,has good mid but is not rev or pull on top end. i saw 1 post said they had black sluge,so i lowered the needle to lean out top. i am running 165-58-1.5 turn on air-2nd clip on ned. i saw someone else say kips out of time, how would i check (any websites can go to ref).i am at 1000 asl, any ideas would help me out. thanks

Offline tharden

Re: no pull at top end
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:33:38 AM »
Look in the kx500 engine part of this site and open the thread on the kips valve.  That may help you out a lot.

Offline slower than u

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:49:46 AM »
 yea i saw that after i posted, but since im a little on the stupid side,i would like to have some pics to go by. thanks for reply.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:22:49 AM »
I would guess that you don't have the kipps linkage engaged.  Look under the little plastic over above the water pump and it will be obvious. Cam.

Offline slower than u

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 07:45:13 AM »
ok ill check on that when i get home tonight, do you think the jetting could off that much?

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 07:54:15 AM »
165 seams bit lean for 1000ft and the pipe your running

Offline slower than u

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 08:08:34 AM »
it ran good with the 165 in it but it was(cold) in the 50s, since it warmed up it hasn't ran good. so i don't know if its the jetting or kips out of wack.

Offline slower than u

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 01:35:40 AM »
 kxcam the linkage lookeded fine,its hooked up c clamp and pulls out. what else do i need to check on the kips. sorry to sound bumb but never messed with the kips system. thanks for the help