Author Topic: Oil drain plug  (Read 1944 times)

Offline cattamer

Oil drain plug
« on: May 20, 2009, 01:53:57 PM »
Does anyone know a better fix for a stripped drain plug?This time when I changed oil on my '92,I noticed when I pulled out plug,that it had been drilled and heli-cored.Core came out with plug.I installed another same size heli-core,but its loose at best.Am going riding in mountains this weekend,so was just trying to get by.If I drill to install next size core and bolt,what about metal shavings in case,trying not to split case.Any ideas or better alternatives?

Offline alward25

Re: Oil drain plug
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »
I replaced mine with a Time-sert. It is an insert that you can buy on Ebay and is a solid insert that locks in and does not back out. It is a little spendy, $65-85 depending on the deal you can find. It comes with the whole install kit and like 5 inserts. You will never have to worry about stripped threads again and if your buddies strip out their threads you can charge them to fix it and make your money back. If I remember right it is M10x1.50 for the size. Double check your plug though. Good Luck!!
"Let there be light"

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 01:28:40 AM »
Plus one on the TimeSerts. Much better than a Helicoil.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 05:02:47 AM »
The real secret it to lockwire the drain plug.  It is human nature to overtighten it to safeguard it from falling out. Lockwire takes that away. My original helicoil lasted nicely after I started using lockwire. Cam.