Author Topic: Help Please Carb problem  (Read 5340 times)

Offline atrain40

Help Please Carb problem
« on: May 16, 2009, 06:37:17 AM »
I have a 1991 kx500 and i just changed the jetting main-162,pilot-55 and put it all back together and bike started up first kick and ran great sounds more like a 2smoke now and was ready to go. but i noticed that when i shut the bike off gas would poor out of the bottom vent hoses that come out of the carb, isnt that just supposed to happen when the bike is flooded. i dont know why that is happening but it doesnt do that when bike is running can some body please help me out is this an easy fix what did i mess up now ha.thanks

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Re: Help Please Carb problem
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 07:52:30 AM »
If this was my bike, I would take a very careful look at the needle and seat. There could be some debris holding the needle open. Also I would look very closely to see if the float moves up and down without sticking. And then I would look closely at the float itself to determine if it is waterlogged. ( actually gas logged ) If every thing looks better than perfect, then I would check the float adjustment, but it has been my experience that the adjustment does not usually change. Look very close and careful.
 But since this isnt my bike, what do you plan to do ?
  Keep us posted on what you see and find out.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline atrain40

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 08:17:56 AM »
i am going to look at the float and needle im pretty sure thats what it is because the jets seated find i will try this later on today and i will keep posted im sure it has to do with the float. thanks

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 08:37:18 AM »
Make sure you set your float level. The float seam should be parallel to the carb body. It also helps to run it just a bit low to prevent overflow on rough ground. An easy method is to blow air into the fuel inlet with your mouth (use a piece of hose) and tip the carb until the air stops. That is the level. Cam.

Offline mr.5thou sand

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 09:57:53 AM »
float needle and seat..??? or float level . maybee a piece of junk got in there not letting float needle seal off the fuel. probably a combination of things :-D

Offline atrain40

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 01:49:29 PM »
wel i just got done messing around with it some more and fired it right up and shut if off but it is not doing it anymore there is no more fuel running out of the tubes so i have no idea what  caused the problem i guess something just didnt get seated right but im going to say the float valve too awhile to get seated. so hopefully the jetting works out and it splooges less and it seems to run better and have more of the 2stroke zing to it.

Offline mr.5thou sand

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 11:18:40 AM »
hey man my carb always leaks a little thats normal for the carb

Offline atrain40

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 04:26:31 AM »
it started to do it again it does it sometimes and not others but thats just riding in the backyard to check it out. but it is probably the float valve needle so i will have to take it apart again and checking it out. but the jetting is running good i think at 162/55 and hopefully that stops the splooge problem and the rich plug reading. does anybody have some good suggestions on what to jet the kx500 at for 8-9000 ft elevation because im going to kennedy meadows at end of august and dont want it to be running crappy already had that happen once with a 2stroke and it sucked. thanks

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 04:44:26 AM »
hey man my carb always leaks a little thats normal for the carb

It's not normal for the carb to leak/poor fuel from the carb vent lines with a bike sitting upright, once the bike ie lean over to one side or the other you'll get to a point where fuel will run out due to the float being unable to close off due to the angle of the bike/carb.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 04:45:34 AM »
it started to do it again it does it sometimes and not others but thats just riding in the backyard to check it out. but it is probably the float valve needle so i will have to take it apart again and checking it out. but the jetting is running good i think at 162/55 and hopefully that stops the splooge problem and the rich plug reading. does anybody have some good suggestions on what to jet the kx500 at for 8-9000 ft elevation because im going to kennedy meadows at end of august and dont want it to be running crappy already had that happen once with a 2stroke and it sucked. thanks

Don't make any jetting changes until you have corrected the flooding issues, incorrect float height will cause richer running condition than normal.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 04:49:19 AM »
I lost a whole reed petal, and the bike started easy, idled, but would die if I gave it more than half throttle. It'd be worth checking them, if you are going to be pullling the carb.

Offline atrain40

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 01:20:12 AM »
ya i know its not normal for the vent hoses to leak ha. and the reeds are fine the bike runs great its just that when it is shut off it leaks fuel and it is im sure the float and float valve needle so when i get a chance i will pull it and check it again because i just twisted it side ways  last time.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 01:39:56 AM »
I didn't write this "how to" but it's pretty good. Click on photo to enlarge it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:36:23 AM by hughes »
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com

Offline atrain40

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 09:10:58 AM »
thanks by those pics i know tha i put it in wrong i didnt hook the metal piece under valve on the tang part thanks.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 09:42:36 AM »
thanks by those pics i know tha i put it in wrong i didnt hook the metal piece under valve on the tang part thanks.

From the statement above I think that the needle would stay closed and not open correctly. Correct / test ride and report back.
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
hughes@dirthammers.com