Author Topic: Cylinder Issues... need advise  (Read 3538 times)

Offline bunk

Cylinder Issues... need advise
« on: May 14, 2009, 05:52:07 PM »
I have a problem and I need some help.  I just got done rebuilding the entire motor but now brand new wiseco piston has 8 thousandths clearance to the cylinder.  From what I?m being told I should only have 4 max.  The piston slap was sooo loud.  The cylinder looks perfectly fine, which really doesn?t make any sense.  So here are my options I?ve come up with so far, and if you have any other ideas please share.  These prices are what a local shop quoted me.

1. $480+- Have the cylinder honed then re-nikasiled to accept the next size up piston. 

2. $320+- Have the cylinder honed and just have a standard sleeve dropped in. (not really sure on this, I kind of want to stick with the nikasil plating.

3. $441 Order a new cylinder from Midwest Action Cycle.

4. $???  Send it to steward and have him work it over??

5. ???  You tell me?

Thanks

01' 500

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: Cylinder Issues... need advise
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 11:44:49 PM »
http://www.lukesracing.com/

Send the cylinder and new piston to lukes. They have done a few 500 cylinders for me with great results. They charge $180.00 for complete replate. Their price chart below.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

stewart

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 11:45:28 PM »
send the cylnder to max power .. have it replated .... dont have it sleeved...

Offline oic0

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 02:05:09 AM »
That local shop is cuttin you a bargain. Did they mention anything about first born son and a possible discount?
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 02:16:53 AM »
Max Power is basically same pricing. I got my motor back in two weeks from them. Plating process is excellent. Somewhat less satisfied with Port work, but still have faith in their plating.

Offline bunk

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 06:31:53 AM »
Thanks for the quick response.  I just tried calling Max's and they are closed until next week.  Will they even be able to plate it being it has alot of space to fill.  I was originally going to have the local shop do that but the place they send out to do their plating said they couldn't fill that much.  Are they wrong??  The reason the $480 seems high is because... $50 to hone it, 280 to replate, and 150 for another piston.  I guess ill have to wait until next week to talk to someone from Max. 

Thanks again guys!
01' 500

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 06:41:19 AM »
How are you determining your piston to cylinder wall clearances? Tell us what/how and where you measuring. Do you have the service manual? Maybe someone here can list the spec for piston to cylinder wall clearance from the service manual. I have also used langcourt for replating and they provide A+ work and have gotten cylinders back within 5 days, but I'm only 3hr drive away so the shipping is very quick.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:46:05 AM by hughes »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 07:36:23 AM »
i would send it to stewart for some port work and he can send it off to maxpower and have stewart drop in the window mod piston. i don't really input much on his engine mod threads but i watch what he's doing and he's really on top of his game.

MADDOGGY

Offline bunk

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 09:00:27 AM »
The guy at the shop was using three different types of electronic measuring tools (dont know what they were called off the top of my head).  I just sent a pm to stewart so maybe i might go that route.
01' 500

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 11:43:03 AM »
most platers can do a skim coat of .020. plus the plating. I got one of my cylinders back from max with .009, but i only ran it for 2 races intill my other cylinder was done. That cylinder also had pits in the plating. They most had a problem with something.

Yeah, i've been working 3 doors up from max and they look like they are slow.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 12:44:39 PM »
Bunk, anyone who tries to charge you extra for honing or boring the cylinder before replating is trying to put it to you. All cylinders have to bored prior to the plating process to make sure the cylinder is true [perfectly round from top to bottom]. If the plater you choose to do your cylinder isn't doing this first then they shouldn't be plating. Over time your cylinder will become egg shaped and this must be corrected before plating.Us Chrome does great work I've had many cylinder done by them and they only charge you for the needed work. Also what about your intake bridges , do they need welded? common problem on K5 cylinders. I've heard the same thing about Max good plating  bad porting. CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline kxpegger

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
It's a large file, you may want to "save as" and use your own media player. If not it takes a few minutes to load.

http://www.mt-llc.com/tour/tech.html

http://www.mt-llc.com/video/mtpcast1.mp4
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 02:32:10 PM by kxpegger »
North Las Vegas

"05" RMZ450, "08" KX500AF "11" KTM 450SX-F "12" KTM 250SX "15" KTM450SX-F