Author Topic: kx 85 lacking bottom end power !  (Read 8019 times)

Offline riggy

kx 85 lacking bottom end power !
« on: May 03, 2009, 03:29:47 PM »
I have a kx 85 it has  a rad valve , pro circuit platinum pipe , and some head work  I just rebuilt top end new piston and rings however this bike is all top end . where would  my next step be to get a noticeably better bottom end  for woods riding ? I was curious if a fmf fatty pipe had more bottom end . GEARING IS STOCK 12/49 . or big bore kit . not sure lookin for some input thanks .

Offline riggy

Re: kx 85 lacking bottom end power !
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 12:49:53 PM »
I advanced the timing one mark it seemed to help . however it still needs more , looking for a flywheel wieght if anyone has one ! and a 52 tooth rear sprocket .

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 01:36:29 PM »
I am not the KX85 expert and know just a little but will try to help. My freinds boy Motos a KX85 & KX100 and the 85 is alot more pipey. The 100 cylinder will bolt on and give alot more bottom & smoother transition into the mid-topend. The CDI is also different and helps smooths out the transition. You said the bike has "head" work, if you can give more detail it would help (stock cylinder?). The Rad Valve usually requires leaner jetting then stock and provides more everywhere on all the bikes I tried them on. The Pro Circuit & FMF both shift the power to the topend (my buddy has the FMF on both) the stock pipe would better suit your needs. In my testing advancing the timing makes the bike Hit Harder in the mid range, try retarding the timing to see if it helps (stator counter clockwise). Also confirm your powervalves are operating correctly closing. Hope this will help.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline riggy

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:10:22 AM »
I was mistaken I moved the timing 1 notch counter clockwise / retarding it . That helped not advanced my mistake . The squish angle was cut and head saved . 49mm wiseco piston .  Thanks for the response hope this info helps looking for some ideas .

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:43:23 AM »
Riggy,
If you have confirmed your power valves are functioning properly and your jetting is correct and you still want more Bottom End (KX85 Has one of the best) then an affordable fix is to remove the cylinder and have the Base turned down (Bottom of the Cylinder) which will retard your port timing (Giving more bottom but taking away some top). You will also need to have your head Re Chambered to compensate. Again, Confirm your valves are operating correctly and jetting is correct before doing anything else. Hope the info helps out.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline riggy

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 04:54:41 AM »
Doldguy , I am planning to check powervalves tonight . Thanks for the info on  shaving the jug . one thing I should of put earlier is that when I replaced the piston . I noticed some grinding in the intake port area . it has a la sleeve so some of the grinding was simply cleaning where sleeve and intake meet , however there is grinding in other areas like the hole to the rt & left of the intake port itself . I dont know who did it maybe a shop did , does that help bottom end ? from what I have heard is that to increase bottom end by porting you would actually need to add metal to the kx 85 not take it out . Thanks , James

Offline riggy

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 11:13:35 AM »
I pulled cover to see the powervalve move when I started it & to my surprise there was not a circlip on it and it was NOT connected . I put it on took a ride seems better  .  a good ride this weekend should tell if the bike is know up to par . you have been very helpfull doldguy thanks .