Author Topic: New to bikes and this site  (Read 2484 times)

Offline oic0

New to bikes and this site
« on: May 03, 2009, 05:32:37 AM »
Im from Louisiana and previously a quad rider. Got a warrior when I was in highschool. Modded it over time. Ended up a 365 with a lectron carb, high lift high duration cam, and lightly ported head. Kept eating oil pumps and consequently grinding the cam. Bought a 73 rd350 from the parts section of ebay for real cheap to steal its motor for my warrior. Picked it up and it was flawless except a gas tank dent and rat eaten seat. Put it in storage and bought just an engine. Ported that pretty wildly, put on twin 34mm carbs. Opened up the intake and stuffed larger banshee reeds in. Had some drag pipes fabbed by gemco. Lathed the strator / flywheel to nothing and went with a total loss system. Was fast but the piston skirt was catching on the intake port. It was too wide :( . It blew and destroyed a rod on the welded crank too. Bought a spare crank and jugs but then met a girl in college. Quad gathered dust for years. Got married. Bought house. Wanted a new fast toy that would be fast as heck stock so I could retain reliability but still scare myself. Wife said no crotch rocket. Then I remembered I always used to drool at the thought of the cr500s and kx500s. Started hunting. Picked up a good running 2000 model with new tires, sprockets, matching helmet, and a lot of minor issues like missing bolts, dented pipe, etc.... Less than a week in and I've invested 300 into a bike i payed 1k for lol. I'm sure ill spend a fortune more.

And here i am asking questions and advice as i learn about this new toy.
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline turbo93svt

Re: New to bikes and this site
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 01:24:33 PM »
welcome i think you will enjoy that 500 you bought.
1989 kx 500, all stock for now, mods on the way

Offline keithluneau

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 03:26:20 PM »
Sounds like fun! lol

What part of La. are you from? I'm in Avoyelles Parish myself. I've got no 500 though, I ride a '89 250. ;)

Offline oic0

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 03:19:41 AM »
Shreveport (Caddo). AKA little Vegas with big mosquitoes.
2000 KX500
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline keithluneau

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 04:37:01 AM »
You ever get down to Claiborne or Forrest Hill to ride? I've been wanting to hit the trails at Claiborne, just need to get all the bugs out of my bike first. My brother in law has a 2000 250, we were planning a trip some time this summer. Can't say for sure when though.

Offline oic0

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 05:11:41 AM »
Forrest hill is where the dunes are right? Always wanted to go there. Like you, I am working bugs out though. I would hate to drive that far and have technical problems. I was halfway around the 30 something mile trail at Kisatchie National Forest on my warrior when I had my motor blow for the second time. Luckily a kind bunch towed me back (riding buddy was on a warrior too, couldn't pull mine).
2000 KX500
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline keithluneau

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 07:10:35 AM »
Yep, Forrest hill is the nearest town, a few miles down the road from "La Dunes". I've been there once, and didn't really like it much to be honest. Claiborne is the name of the old military came that is now the national forrest, might be the same trails you're talking about, a few miles north of the dunes. I think there's some more trails north of Alexandria too, so I might be wrong... ;)

My bike is actually running great right now, it just started leaking water into the tranny again. I had an old motor with a good seal in it so I used that one, I figured it might last a little while. I should have known better... lol I have a whole seal kit on the way though, I need to change the one in the water pump, as well as the kickstart shaft, the one behind the front sprocket, and the one on the power valve rod where it comes out of the cylinder.

Other than those leaks it's ready to go, got new fenders on the way too, as well as a seat cover, all cosmetic stuff.

I think I'm going to try to get a summer of riding out of the bike, then next winter I'd like to tear it down and go through the engine, top and bottom. It's got a new top end right now so it might just make it...  :|

If we do head up that way in the coming weeks I'll be sure to let you know, maybe we could meet up and ride the trails!

Offline wecsubloc

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 02:22:42 PM »

Welcome to kxriders.This is a great site w/great members.Congrats on the 500! See ya around.

Billy C
Life begins @ 40! Catching up on my yesteryears!So lets rip it up!

Offline oic0

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 01:43:31 AM »
Yep, Forrest hill is the nearest town, a few miles down the road from "La Dunes". I've been there once, and didn't really like it much to be honest. Claiborne is the name of the old military came that is now the national forrest, might be the same trails you're talking about, a few miles north of the dunes. I think there's some more trails north of Alexandria too, so I might be wrong... ;)

My bike is actually running great right now, it just started leaking water into the tranny again. I had an old motor with a good seal in it so I used that one, I figured it might last a little while. I should have known better... lol I have a whole seal kit on the way though, I need to change the one in the water pump, as well as the kickstart shaft, the one behind the front sprocket, and the one on the power valve rod where it comes out of the cylinder.

Other than those leaks it's ready to go, got new fenders on the way too, as well as a seat cover, all cosmetic stuff.

I think I'm going to try to get a summer of riding out of the bike, then next winter I'd like to tear it down and go through the engine, top and bottom. It's got a new top end right now so it might just make it...  :|

If we do head up that way in the coming weeks I'll be sure to let you know, maybe we could meet up and ride the trails!

Doubt the wife will let me drive that far but I will be sure to whine and plead  :cry:
2000 KX500
1973 RD350 (In storage)