Author Topic: New pipe or cut to pieces and fix?  (Read 2287 times)

Offline oic0

New pipe or cut to pieces and fix?
« on: May 02, 2009, 03:26:56 PM »
Just got this bike. The pipe is an FMF Burly. Not a gnarley or fatty, it says burly. I double checked. The part that snakes around right after leaving the head has two fairly deep dents in it. Looks like one had a hole welded shut on it also so maybe someone else already failed with a slide hammer. The spot where it is has a lot of welding criss crossing it so I doubt the ice method would work if I could find an empty freezer to throw it in. Anywho. My question is, what is an FMF burly? what part of the rpm range does it focus on? I searched the forum for it and found no information. Is it worth fixing? My old man is an awesome arc welder and I have seen him weld some very thin things flawlessly though he only knows and owns arc since that is what he uses at work. We could probably cut this thing to pieces, beat the dents out, and put it back together, but I'm not going to bother if I think a different pipe would be better. Really though I have found very little information about these pipes or any pipes at all. Would love to see a dyno chart of all of the available pipes being compared but I doubt there are any floating around. I personally like to be scared on a bike so I usually opt for mid-top end piprd even though I usually ride trails. Not the full out drag pipes, the ones with decent low, strong mid, and a good rush on top for when I'm feeling adventurous.
2000 KX500
1998 Warrior, with RD350 engine (Blown up)
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: New pipe or cut to pieces and fix?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 05:45:13 PM »
welcome :)

i have the fmf fatty on my streetk5 ,wouldn,t want anythin else ,great pipe!
on my sumo i have a french pipe called Millet ,
this pip had dents everywhere and i repaired them by cutting an opposite window .
then work the dent throught that window and reweld after .

the pipe you have sounds like it is special too ,worth of being restored imo
you can get another pipe and then also fix the burly ,
it will do you no harm ,having a spare pipe

this is my restored millet pipe

Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline oic0

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 02:47:21 PM »
bit more research and i found out it is a gnarly before they were forced to rename them. Wish i had a fatty instead since a low rev torque 2 stroke feels unnatural... but Im going to cut windows like you said and fix it instead. Partly because im lazy and dont want to rejet and partly because I know its best for my health while I learn.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 02:49:37 PM by oic0 »
2000 KX500
1973 RD350 (In storage)

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:52:34 PM »
The FMF "burly" pipes  were simply a current "gnarly" divegerant cone profile, but with heavy 14 ga. ? doublewall construction.
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline oic0

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 03:09:37 AM »
I said I wouldn't but... all that high praise for the Pro Circuit Platinum 2... I had to order one. I will of course keep the Burly and beat the dents out of it... but I wanted a pretty new clean pipe that would run like a scalded ape.
2000 KX500
1973 RD350 (In storage)