Author Topic: In Line Cooler  (Read 4695 times)

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

Re: In Line Cooler
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2009, 10:48:08 AM »
I run the 1.6 on my KX250 that I race enduros with. It would start to piss out a little coolant in extremely long, bar banging, tight sections. After I switched caps it has been fine. I will be using it on my 500 conversion also, along with the bigger 250 radiators.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline stock500

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 06:58:40 AM »
So more pressure means cooler running temps?? :?  Also when I take my radiator cap off and start my bike the coolant drops from the bottom of the filler neck, down to were I almost cant see it.  Is that normal?
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 09:08:37 AM »
Stock,
   The higher pressure just makes the boiling point of the coolant higher so the rad won't overflow as often.  It prevents loss of coolant but doesn't make the engine temp lower (unless without it you end up with no coolant).  What you are describing doesn't sound right to me, but I am going from K5 memory (they are fond ones...).  It sounds like you have air in your system which you will have to purge out using the purge bolt on top of the head (I bet you wondered what that was for).  Normally when you fire up your bike with the cap off the coolant will stay at the level of the neck, with lots of turbulence, and sometimes spill over a bit.  I would suggest you to run your bike and add coolant when the level drop to fill it up, then open the purge bolt until coolant comes out. Top everything up and you should be fine. Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline stock500

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 09:20:41 AM »
Thanks Cam I will bleed my coolant when I get my top end back together. 
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 10:49:46 PM »
So more pressure means cooler running temps?? :?  Also when I take my radiator cap off and start my bike the coolant drops from the bottom of the filler neck, down to were I almost cant see it.  Is that normal?

Before you go spending money on bling, try swapping to this:
http://www.engineice.cc/faq.html

I run Engine Ice in my 12,000 rpm shifter kart, and it dropped my temps 11 degrees F !
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart