Author Topic: Transmission Issues???  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Good

• Yo.
Transmission Issues???
« on: April 15, 2009, 01:37:54 AM »
Had something wierd happen yesterday evening.

I was trying to get the K5 to idle and messed with it for like 15 minutes and it was starting to stumble so I "binged" the throttle and it dropped itself into gear, dug a hole, and died.

I had it leaning on my old rock crawler on the right side of the bike and nothing was anywhere near the shifter.

The problem is, I can't get it to go into neutral now.  It has always been very positive shifting and never have had any problems going into neutral, but after that, it just won't go.  It goes 1st to second and back but no neutral.  I also couldn't get it started again with the clutch in and it was getting dark so I gave up for the day.

Any ideas what might have happened?  It vibrates pretty bad (I'd guess normal) at this RPM.  Could something have vibrated loose in the transmission that would cause this?

Thanks for your help.

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: Transmission Issues???
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:57:41 AM »

I was trying to get the K5 to idle and messed with it for like 15 minutes and it was starting to stumble so I "binged" the throttle and it dropped itself into gear, dug a hole, and died.

I had it leaning on my old rock crawler on the right side of the bike and nothing was anywhere near the shifter.

The problem is, I can't get it to go into neutral now.  It has always been very positive shifting and never have had any problems going into neutral, but after that, it just won't go.  It goes 1st to second and back but no neutral.  I also couldn't get it started again with the clutch in and it was getting dark so I gave up for the day.

Any ideas what might have happened?  It vibrates pretty bad (I'd guess normal) at this RPM.  Could something have vibrated loose in the transmission that would cause this?

Thanks for your help.

how can a bike drop into a gear on its own ,i try to comprehend ,but its a tough thought
maybe a worn out shiftlever spring ? and due to the vibo,s it shaked itselfs down to 1st gear ?
for the neutral issue ,i realy don,t know,maybe time to tear it down ?
its a rear story ,glad no one got hurt form that runaway k5  :wink:

Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 03:07:43 AM »
 I had the spring fall of the shifter mechanism inside the clutch side, and it stuck in the gear it was in and had to push the bike around dragging the tire. that was the 250. The 500 while in neutral, last year at the Polo hillclimb, I was warming it up and it screeched and lurched forward, while in neutral. It was neutral with the clutch pulled in, but stuck in gear at the neutral poistion. It was hung up and nothing to fix it except disassemble. The gear had seized on the shaft and needed to be pressed off. Apparently its staight gear to shaft, no bushing or bearring at all. Rare deal, but it happens. My engine builder said there was alot of goop in there, even though I change oil regularly, and that may have caused it.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 03:54:16 AM »
Thanx guys, I was afraid of that.  I'll keep messing with it to see if I can break it loose, but if not, I won't be riding for a while.  We're in the middle of remodeling the house... :|

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:29:38 AM »

Thanks for your help.

Does the shift lever have spring resistance to return to the "neutral detent? If the shift lever is just moves up and down without any return force, you have a broken shift shaft return spring. You can remove the clutch cover and easily inspect the spring. (you might need to remove the clutch basket for a good view, not sure on this detail).
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart