Author Topic: Lost swing arm nut again!  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Hick

Lost swing arm nut again!
« on: April 14, 2009, 02:58:56 PM »
I own two k5s and have owned a third at one time and i think on all thee i have lost a swing arm nut at least once during rides.  I also ride with a bunch of k5 riders and have noticed their missing nut at one time or another.  I was wondering is this common with the k5ers on this page and if so has anyone come up with a good fix idea.  Wire tie, drill and pin it or anything else. I always loctight blue it and tighten it good, but open for suggestions or heck tell me what i might be doing wrong.

Offline Hick

Re: Lost swing arm nut again!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 03:42:15 AM »
No one else has had this problem?

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 04:28:31 AM »
I have never lost any bolts or nuts on any of my K5's.  I'm a torque wrench fanatic and do the soft locktight on most bolts and nuts.
I did loose some nuts from the head light assembly from the dual sport kit I installed.  The bracket broke and it was moving around.  I didn't notice it until we stopped for gas.  Three of the screws came out and I lost two of the small nuts.  I tie wrapped and taped it all together to get back to camp.  You probably ride much harder than I do. A two foot gap under my bike is big air for me.
Now watch I probably jinxed myself saying "I have never lost any bolts or nuts on any of my K5's".  I better find some wood to knock on.
KX 500 Rider

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 05:53:07 AM »
I also have never lost a nut or bolt off my KX500.  I use blue locktite on most important bolts and anti-sieze and proper torque for bolts that thread into aluminum.  Cam.

Offline bunk

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 06:17:48 AM »
Ive lost one of the rear # plate bolts.  Since then ive stripped the whole bike down and lock tighted everything.  No problems since then.

As for your problem, are you talking about the rear axle nut?  Mine has a cotter pin through it and it works like a charm.  I did have one of the axle adjustment bolts snap one time. 
01' 500

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 02:04:41 PM »
You may want to consider purchasing an electric impact wrench they work great for tightening these bolts and fly wheels.
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline Hick

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 05:34:03 PM »
No not the castle nut on the axle but the swing arm pivot bolt nut.  I am surprised no one else has lost this nut but, i guess i just will crank it tighter. I also have wire tied now just incase.