Author Topic: Fitting IMS tank on K5AF  (Read 8933 times)

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Fitting IMS tank on K5AF
« on: April 14, 2009, 03:10:48 AM »
$275 dollar 3.2 gal IMS tank + $100 dollar heat gun = $275 dollar lesson.  Maybe.  I'm working on fitting the IMS tank to my AJ built K5AF bike.  What I have learned thus far:

#1  The tip of the heat gun gets really hot.  If your smart that's a one time lesson.  So far I've   
       taken that course twice.
#2  Heat an area about twice as big as you want to form.
#3  Have a 2nd person around to help cool the area you are forming as you hold it in place.
      The plastic wants to go back to the original shape if you don't cool it with a cloth dampened
       in ice water.
#3a  The 2nd person can say "Man did that burn you? I smell burnt hair.
#4  Take your time, don't get in a hurry.  It gets frustrating when it does not go the way you 
       want it.   Be prepared to "Walk away" for a little bit.

All joking aside, I was trying to do this by myself.   I have 4 areas to contend with.  IMS relocates the spigot where the gas comes out to go to the petcock.  Puts it real close to the spark plug.  That is the easy part, just heat the bottom of the tank and push it in evenly.
I added Works Connection radiator braces, the outside lobs of the tank hit the braces.  Left side also hits on the coil.  This area is real thick and does not want to form well.  I will give it a try today now that I have one of my co-workers to give me a hand.
Here are a pictures of the task so far.  I did get the plastic thin in one spot.  I was working on the spot for the spark plug clearance but it made the spigot come into contact with the plug boot.  I was using a 1/2 inch socket extension, it wants to roll the plastic.  I found a wooden handle works better.  Steel takes on the heat from the plastic.  I gave up and heated most of the bottom of the tank, that kept the spigot at the proper angle.  I will post up my progress in a few days, let you know if this became a costly lesson or not.

Side Note:  I installed a Scott's under handle bar steering dampener and this tank does fit with that add on with no problems.

https://www.imsproducts.com/Cart/viewcart.cfm

http://www.worksconnection.com/store/product.html?prod_id=3295
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:14:22 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline KXer

• Ride hard, ride fast, go home safe.
    • Race-dezert.com
Re: Fitting IMS tank on K5AF
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 03:20:26 PM »
Looks great so far.  number 1 rule I found was PATIENTS, which I have little of lol.  Once I was finally able to fit my desert tank to my steel frame conversion, I found that I had a pin hole leak.  I have since sealed it with a "Plastic gas tank patch kit" found at Autozone.  Its basically a fiberglass repair kit.  Then, for added security I used "Seal-all" and coated the entire bottom of my desert tank.

Great start, take your time as it is well worth the effort.

Stupidity should hurt!

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 06:12:49 PM »
I have not had the best of luck with heat forming the IMS tanks. They have a very small range between being solid and liquid when heating them, and tend to mush like wax if you don't get a broad area heated appropriately.

The Clarks are a lot easier to work with when needing to mold/clearence them. As stated they like to retain there shape, so keep some water near by to cool them. Work them a little at a time till you get it where you want it.

I especially agree with bullet 4. :-D

Warning: In either case, be sure to go into the reforming process with an understanding that you can easily ruin a tank.  :mrgreen:

Offline KXer

• Ride hard, ride fast, go home safe.
    • Race-dezert.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 06:34:11 PM »
EDIT:

So the "plastic gas tank" sealer doesn't work for crap.  After that and coating the bottom of my tank with "seal-all" I still had a pin hole leak.  Decided to stop half assing it and sanded the entire bottom of the IMS tank, filed away what I needed and bought a fiberglass kit.  2 layers of cheese cloth (set 12 hours apart) and the fuel tank is holding gas. 
(NOTE:) - Also had a spun nut in my stock tank, so I gutted it out, and fiberglassed in a fender washer type nut.  Holding strong.

The real test for the desert tank comes when I get her to the desert.
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline AJ

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:43:32 AM »
it guess it should be noted ,
that if you have one of our 500AF bikes,
we sell Clarke or IMS oversized tanks that are already modifdied to fit them.