Author Topic: O-ring chain rubs case  (Read 2518 times)

Hogwylde

O-ring chain rubs case
« on: December 01, 2003, 12:37:32 PM »
I like the long life of the O-ring chain in the mud and muck of midwest harescrambles, but I'm a little concerned about wear I'm observing on the case.  I HAD run a 13 tooth last year, but when I saw how the case was worn, I figured the smaller sprocket was allowing it too close.  I see that most people here seem to like the 14 tooth countershaft sprockets.  Anyone else seeing wear with O-rings and 14T sprockets?

I'm thinking that maybe I can take some JB weld and rebuild the area to take any future wear instead of the aluminum case.  Any thoughts on this idea?

kawdude

O-ring chain rubs case
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2003, 12:41:10 PM »
I can't speak on the 14t and the oring chain rubbing but I can say that the JB weld has fixed quite a few issues on my KX flawlessly.  It would be a good solution to the wear on the case.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
O-ring chain rubs case
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003, 01:26:01 PM »
I had that problem even with the 14, low and behold shortly after that the countershaft started to show signd of leakage. In my case the sh!tty little o-ring behind the countershaft collar was the culprit. That wore out and allowed the sprocket to move in closer to the case and start a groove-thang, and NOT in a good way :lol: . Anyways, I have a fix posted here for that little issue, since then I've run 13,14,15 on the front and have no longer had an issue with the case eating o-ring chain.

Hogwylde

O-ring chain rubs case
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003, 10:00:26 AM »
Ok,I give.....Where's your fix posted at??

I discovered my shocking case wear after investigating a countershaft leak too!  I never knew there was an o-ring behind that spacer until I checked the parts diagrams to get the seal # and saw some little o-ring listed behind it.  Getting the o-ring and spacer too since the spacer was a little pitted and worn and the o-ring was shredded.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
O-ring chain rubs case
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2003, 10:09:01 AM »
A quick search reveals:

http://www.pitbull-racing.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=434

One thing to remember about the searching function, if you use the one at the top of the forum you can find good stuff. The one on the main menu doesn't search the forums  :?