Author Topic: kx holy grail  (Read 6596 times)

stewart

kx holy grail
« on: March 31, 2009, 11:02:12 AM »
i have been ask to do the engine restore on this orignal 1963   j1m   kawasaki...dirt bike proto type ,, the start of kaw  dirt bikes there are only 2 left, one in a private collection and this one, the restore will be ran in vmx mag,,,thats out of sweden ,,stands for vintage motor cross,,,when done it will go to japan on loan to kaw for a while and be in there museum on display,,then back to usa for shows
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 01:01:50 PM by stewart »

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Re: kx holy grail
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:42:11 AM »
I used to get VMX, really great magazine, large color photo's  of great old race bikes. But I thought the mag was from Australia.
 Stewart, I am sure your work  will be top notch ,after all, the whole motocross community will be looking at this one. What an honor to be selected !
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

stewart

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 11:51:57 AM »
theres a long story behind this bike it was found in vietnam in 1967 a guy won it in a card game there he new it was rare,,shipped it back home it ended up in a collection of old kawasakis that got put in a barn and forgotten then found by another collector he found me to do the motor ,,,cool,,,

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 12:57:23 PM »
It's cool to see the vintage 2stroke hardware. That rotary design is probably the best pure HP design (Aprillia uses this on the 250 GP bikes). VJMC is a great source for info/parts for the older bikes. I am sure it is an honor to be given the task.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:38:06 AM by DoldGuy »
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 01:23:21 PM »
Nice find.   That will be a fun project. I used to race rotary valve KX125s in the late 70s.  Very fast (until we steel sleeved them).  Make sure you show use some pics along the way. Cam.

Offline k5abuser

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 03:12:19 PM »
ill be taking lotsssssss of pictures . just think what it would have been like to ride that old bike and jumping it . ummmm makes yours #%*$ hurt just thinking about it  :-o
race gas is fast but Q16 hauls azz.i still ride because i am not ready to have been that fast. i ride a kx500 because they don't make a kx600!ck k5abuser on youtube

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 03:52:40 PM »
what is that 4" travle in the back.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 05:54:59 PM »
 Very Cool !
 Congratulations,  I'm thinking this thing Stewart has going is Really going to start picking up steam!  :wink:
You all might consider expanding...,  :-D
Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline mdw471

• Wolbrink Race
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 02:07:27 AM »
Stewart,

From personal experience through track experiments I am finally able to stand up and tell you something!!

:mrgreen:

Air cooled, two stroke piston crowns and head domes that have a ceramic treatment run strong longer and are considerably more resistant to timing / jetting related detonation.

Heat sink losses starting on the fifth lap at Road America instead of the end of the second. Getting a season out of a piston, instead of replacing it every weekend because of heat related damage.

Of course, the thickness of the material needs to be considered when cutting the squish band, but otherwise forget about the NASA frosting.

I am going to go put a star on the calendar for today....

Mark
for more information about the World's Fastest Dirt Bike, www.wolbrinkrace.blogspot.com

stewart

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 03:59:11 AM »
pics of first kx dirt bike motor apart .... j 1 m ...

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 07:26:50 AM »
Stewart, now your are getting into stuff I understand! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

stewart

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 10:30:23 AM »
i think this motor was made the year i was born ,,

stewart

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 10:43:32 AM »
found out yesterday that this build and bike history is giong to be on the ,,,discovery channel,,,they have called ,,jon lowe..owner off the bike 4 times this week and are setting up the times for filming,,i am glad to get to be included in this doucumentry for the engine we are diong i will post pictures and dates

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 01:59:27 PM »
Now how bitchen is that! 
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Motorrad

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 02:49:55 PM »
Next thing we will know Stewart will have his own reality show on before orange county choppers.   Really though this is a very cool thing! Can't wait to see it!!