Author Topic: starting k5 after rebuild  (Read 2127 times)

Offline KTMEXC125

starting k5 after rebuild
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:37:05 PM »
okay guys in a few weeks i'll be getting my cylinder back from a replate and be able to rebuild the top end. so exciting! i cant wait to feel the power! my question is has anyone had trouble getting their bike to fire after they rebuilt it? when i put a new piston and ring in my ktm 125 it took me forever to start it. it had plenty of compression and everything was fine. i tried push starting it and everything. it finally came to life first kick after i shot a dab of starting ether in the airbox with the filter off. i didnt really feel good about doing that though! i dont know if using ether on a 2 stroke dirtbike is good for it and it took me forever to start my 500 when i first got it. if i have trouble getting it 2 fire is using ether a good idea?
be the hitter not the hit

Offline kx560

Re: starting k5 after rebuild
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Double check your jetting with a good baseline. It should fire right up. Others may know better than me but I wouldn't use any starting fluids.

stewart

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 01:21:05 PM »
dont use starting fluid ,,,,,,pull the spark plug and put some premix in and then try it

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 01:28:25 PM »
Old trick I learned from starting the cr5's , lean the bike over almost to the ground till gas runs out the carb. overflows this will flood a little bit of fuel into the cylinder making it easier to start.
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 01:34:40 PM »
Old trick I learned from starting the cr5's , lean the bike over almost to the ground till gas runs out the carb. overflows this will flood a little bit of fuel into the cylinder making it easier to start.

This is the method I use every time I started before tear down. I will be getting my jug back from Millenium in a week.

I'll put it back together with all kinds of goodies, and continue to use this method.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 01:40:20 PM »
KTM,

Good advice from CBX & others. What I have learned is to pull the choke, gas on of course,  click up to third gear and rock the bike back & forth, find neutral, bring it to TDC and give a good kick ( of course with boots on). This is the old & lazy guys way.

Hey CBX, have you tried leaning that six over on it's side to prime it? :-D
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline KTMEXC125

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 04:26:07 AM »
thanks for the advice guys. i used to have a go kart that i would put a little pit of gasoline down the cylinder to get it to fire on cold days. i'll try doin that with premix when i get my parts back and try other methods as well
be the hitter not the hit

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 09:31:04 AM »
KTM,

Good advice from CBX & others. What I have learned is to pull the choke, gas on of course,  click up to third gear and rock the bike back & forth, find neutral, bring it to TDC and give a good kick ( of course with boots on). This is the old & lazy guys way.

Hey CBX, have you tried leaning that six over on it's side to prime it? :-D
DoldGuy , I can lay it over --standing it back up is the hard part.
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!