Author Topic: Suspension  (Read 1683 times)

Offline fatboy2k500

Suspension
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:04:59 PM »
Just got a 2k K5 done up for the desert (250lb rider) by ACME suspension (RIP Daryl) a couple years ago and I think it's going to be a little soft.  Do these things really stiffen up THAT much when used?  I have yet to ride the bike, just got it yesterday.  Trying to clean it up and get it ready for the first ride April 9th.  Anyway, would love to hear some feedback!

Thanks,
Tony

Offline DoldGuy

Re: Suspension
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:41:13 AM »
FatBoy,

Suspension does not Stiffen up with use, it loosens up with use. If you are soft now after a couple of rides it is going to get a considerable amount softer (if the suspension job got all new bushings, seals, wipers etc.). Pesonally have never dealt with ACME, but I know alot of guys out West has used them reportedly with good results. Sounds as you are needing to go stiffer (your a Big boy / Me Too!), do you know what spring rate you are currently running?
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline fatboy2k500

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:56:46 AM »
FatBoy,

Suspension does not Stiffen up with use, it loosens up with use. If you are soft now after a couple of rides it is going to get a considerable amount softer (if the suspension job got all new bushings, seals, wipers etc.). Pesonally have never dealt with ACME, but I know alot of guys out West has used them reportedly with good results. Sounds as you are needing to go stiffer (your a Big boy / Me Too!), do you know what spring rate you are currently running?

I wish I could tell ya, the guy I bought it from had the suspension done a couple years ago by ACME, set up for desert and a 250lb rider.  I'm 265 and just sitting on the bike (haven't even ridden it yet!) it feels soft.  The problem I had on my 250 was that it was also too soft and I could go off just about any jump and bottom out.  It'd beat me senseless it was so soft.  Based on the paperwork from ACME it looks like the suspension was fully gone through, even oil levels and everything (which I can post when I get home).

Offline RoostDaddy

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 11:58:38 AM »
Some suspension companies used to revalve there existing suspension work for only the price of a rebuild.  May want to contact ACME and see if they are willing to work you out a deal for a suspension update.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.

Offline fatboy2k500

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 05:54:01 AM »
Some suspension companies used to revalve there existing suspension work for only the price of a rebuild.  May want to contact ACME and see if they are willing to work you out a deal for a suspension update.

Yeah, I would, but good ol Daryl (the owner) passed away just over a year ago new years and no more ACME. =\

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 07:44:57 AM »
FatBoy,

I know back in the early to mid 90's Ty Davis used ACME suspension (he was & is alot lighter than you or I, & surely alot faster than me). You might be able to contact him via email @ zipty racing to get some idea of what spring rates he was running (& go up at least 2 steps). His father has a wealth of knowledge and am sure it has been passed on to him.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!