Author Topic: Test BikePulledBikeTrailer.  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Test BikePulledBikeTrailer.
« on: March 19, 2009, 04:47:29 AM »
   I want to build a trailer for hauling my dirt bike behind my Kawasaki Concours motorcycle.  It will look like this, the Port-A-Chopper trailer.   
http://www.portachopper.com/features.html

It will be one piece construction not a take apart.  Please look at the links and see if you can come up with ideas and suggestions.  I will run 8" wheels.   Port-A-Chopper weights 275 pounds, I am shooting for my trailer weight near 150 pounds 175 max.  Width on the  Port-A-Chopper is 5 ft.  I'm thinking 4 ft. on my trailer.

I called Dexter Axle in Elkhart Indiana and low and behold their manufacturing is done in El Reno.  Just west of Okla. City.  They will build an axel made to my specifications.  I will use their Torflex suspension axel.
http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1080235/f/Torflex_Information_4-04.pdf

I want to use aluminum any where I can.  The U shaped channel for the bike wheels and most of the trailer frame work. The U channel will make up the main structure of the frame. I'm not planning on using fenders.  Or if I do, maybe I can find plastic fenders that have the tail light mounted in the fender.

I will remove the front wheel and bolt the front axel to the trailer to lower the center of gravity.  I got the idea from the shipping crate from Kawasaki.  Weight of the motorcycle is 250 pounds ready to ride.  Total weight of bike and associated items like service tools, 2 gallon plastic gas can, chain lube, small ice chest and tie downs not to exceed 300 pounds.  1 and 7/8 inch ball.   As you see from the pictures this trailer will not need to be much bigger than the shipping crate.  I will dress in my moto cross gear ready to ride to eliminate the weight of a change of clothes.

Any of you fabrication guys that have some pointers will be appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:23:27 PM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Ideas?BikePulledBikeTrailer.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 05:13:43 AM »
As I picture the process of loading and unloading the bike I realized I will need to have my bike stand to get the wheel off and set the bike down.  The whole procedure will have to be a one man operation.  I always try to be self sufficient when I ride.  I don't want to be the guy that ALWAYS needs something at the riding area.  We ALL know one of them.  I will need a small ramp and some kind of kick stand at the back of the trailer so I can leave it hooked up to the towing bike.  I will actually lock it to the tow bike.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 05:25:45 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:14:06 AM »
My uncle alwas told a story of a old friend of him.
The man had his bike behind his car, the front wheel and rear chain of. On some sort of way he
connected his fronttubes to his towing hook( if this is good englisch).
After google I found some pic's like this and a porta trailer ripoff.

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 06:36:59 AM »
Dutchie, man you fixed me up with all the cool stuff.  Thanks.  I have seen the front wheel type but that would cause tire wear on the knobbies. Might be to much tongue weight for a motorcycle towing vehicle.  My friends ride their dual sport bikes to the meets.  I transport in my truck because the knobbies wear to fast when you ride 4 and a half hours on the interstate one way.  I have only ridden the bike to one event.  All other times I used the truck.  With a trailer I can bring some gear with me and have the fun of riding with my buddies but the comfort of my street bike.  The picture of the blue trailer is exactly what I have in mind.  Do you have a link to their site?
KX 500 Rider

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 06:51:04 AM »
I'm looking for you, but what about this one?? :-D

Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:11:37 AM »
d**n dude is it a small world?  Because of your pictures, I went around the world to find the trailers are made in my "backyard".
http://www.bikelug.net/info.htm
Bike lug trailers is less than 1 hour right up Interstate 44 near Tulsa Okla.  Just got off the phone with the salesman.  Said I could bring my bike and test one of their trailers.  Stock trailer with no add on options weights in at 170 pounds (77.27 kilos).
Again Thanks Dutchie.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 08:11:04 AM »
I plan on buying a trailer from     http://www.bikelug.net/info.htm
I can't build one any cheaper, if you count time as money.

By the way the guy that owns the company is from England.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:14:49 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 07:05:39 AM »
That is awesome, I wonder if they could mount a flat surface behind the tire or something so you could carry some extra fuel...

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 06:39:01 PM »
Well Danger I'm glad to hear you found it!!!

We want to see some pic's if it(or doesn't) work behind your Concours.

Dutchie :-D
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline k5abuser

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 02:18:39 AM »
hi danger .i like the wheel chalk for the trailer hitch for cars or trucks . how about a tow hitch wheel chalk with wheels to the side . this shouldn't wieght more than 40 lbs and you could pull the chain off the bike to cut down  on wear . lenght 3 feet and about 3 feet wide. 12 tires with the bottom of the wheel axle about 3 inches off the ground to keep the center of gravity low to help the bike handle  better while pulling it . two L brackets ( make these taller with rubber on top to hold your boots  . the tie straps could hold the boots down )with wheeel spindles and a wheel chalk with a trailer hitch welded to it at the hieght to make it run level. get some plastic that could be heated and molded into fenders and a brace over the tire to hold the fender and at the end a loop to hold t he straps for the handle bar tie down.just a quick thought . you could strap your chest protector to the front tire of the dirt bike as the motorcycle will create enough air deflection to keep it from blow it off.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 02:21:31 AM by k5abuser »
race gas is fast but Q16 hauls azz.i still ride because i am not ready to have been that fast. i ride a kx500 because they don't make a kx600!ck k5abuser on youtube

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 03:48:20 AM »
This is the link to pictures.  http://www.bikelug.net/index2.html
Look at the animated assembly and disassembly video.  That's the unit I plan on using.  As for the riding gear I will just wear everything if it's local or a day trip. I hope transporting a bike this way is safe with the wheels on the dirt bike.  I have not ruled out, for long distance trips, removing the front wheel and bolting the front axel down. That way I would not have to have handle bar tie downs. 
Another plus with bolting the axel the suspension would not be compressed.  The dirt bike would "give" a little when I hit bumps in the road.  I'll just need to secure the back wheel down to the trailer and strap the front wheel.  I'll put a piece of plastic the thickness of the front disk between the brake pads.  Then wrap the hand brake to the handle bar with a few rubber bands to hold the brake pads in place during transport. The only draw back there is needing a jack or help to remove the wheel and set the bike down.  It's no fun to arrive and have to work on a bike before I could ride.  So I'm hoping for a stable ride without removing the front wheel.  I think the guy is going to let me bring the bikes to his shop and do a test drive.

KX 500 Rider

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 03:11:38 AM »
How's the trailer going Danger????

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 10:14:43 AM »
Put the Concours in the shop for a 10,000 mile valve adj./check up, new tires, radiator flush and general once over to make sure it is road worthy.  I hope to go on a muti-state cruse this summer.  Carb bowls are leaking and they had to order new gaskets.  Should come in Tue. or Wed.  Then I will load the Concours, KX500AF and my KLR650 on a 16 ft. flat bed trailer.  I want to test with the KX and I think it will work.  And test with the KLR, it might be to heavy.  I'll post up some pictures of the test in a week or two depending on the gaskets.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 05:48:41 PM »
I hope it works great and would love to see those pics!!!

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 01:48:02 AM »
I found and bought a trailer that I'm thinking will work for pulling the K5AF (240 pounds) behind the Concours.  I hope I can pull the KLR also (355 pounds).  I can pick the trailer completely off the ground by myself.  Not real easy but I can do it.  It weighs between 130 and 170 pounds.  I'm going to find a scale to get a true weight after I paint, redo the lights, bearings and seals.
It's called the Tuff n Lite by Unique Functional Products.

Here are the other crazy people, many pictures.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213034

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:10:00 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider