Author Topic: Gouged Cylinder  (Read 3409 times)

Offline iambigd

Gouged Cylinder
« on: March 18, 2009, 02:37:20 PM »
Well I had the weekend from hell. I snapped my Kickstart Shaft, not the Kickstart itself, the shaft going into the motor. Cracked the clutch Side cover so I have to replace that. It prompted me to look into accu-products.com 's compression release. I decided to go for it. Pulled my cylinder off only to find the connector rod pin keeper broke and gouged the side of the cylinder.

I have read not to sleeve a 500 but I'm not sure. I can't find a used one for my 1997 KX 500 and a new one is 500 bones. Take a look at the pic and if you have any ideas please let me know. I don't know how far you can bore these. I'm assuming 30 over or so but I think this may be more the 30 over. I see sleeves for sale on ebay so I am wondering if that's an option.

Here are the pics, any help would be awesome.

peace

BigD

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: Gouged Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 03:10:20 PM »
mosts platers can fix that and replate for under 3 bones.

Offline iambigd

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 03:28:46 PM »
Any recommendations for platers? Is re-plating better then resleeving?

mosts platers can fix that and replate for under 3 bones.

Offline JohnJr

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 03:33:27 PM »
Hey Big D,Ive heard the sleeve is no good for the K5,it will affect the performance far as the power and the temperature of the bike,my cylinder was worst than that. I took it off and my mechanic set it off to US Chrome (IT WAS STOCK BORE) it cost me $275, and they welded up the gouges ,REPLATED IT, and its STOCK BORE took about 3 weeks,top end was around $150and I went with the thicker head gasket to lower the compression will put mine together this weekend,I hope this helped you out ,keep me informed JohnJR. Later

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 03:35:54 PM »
Plating is much better than resleeving.  Plating has lower friction and a vastly greater heat transfer ability. Both allow tighter clearances which make more power.  In the old days we used to sleeve KX125s when the chrome chipped. It turned them from super fast into dogs. Cam.

Offline iambigd

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 03:42:44 PM »
US Chrome it is. I checked out there website. Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

Peace

Hey Big D,Ive heard the sleeve is no good for the K5,it will affect the performance far as the power and the temperature of the bike,my cylinder was worst than that. I took it off and my mechanic set it off to US Chrome (IT WAS STOCK BORE) it cost me $275, and they welded up the gouges ,REPLATED IT, and its STOCK BORE took about 3 weeks,top end was around $150and I went with the thicker head gasket to lower the compression will put mine together this weekend,I hope this helped you out ,keep me informed JohnJR. Later

Offline JohnJr

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 03:52:02 PM »
Hey Big D US Chrome 1-866-922-5066 or MilleniumTechnology 1-888779-6885 that some numbers , That cylinder has to be Nikasiled,it might cost more than a sleeve but dont half step with that bike, Later D ,John

Offline iambigd

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 02:49:55 AM »
For sure the 97 k5 is a plated cylinder?

Hey Big D US Chrome 1-866-922-5066 or MilleniumTechnology 1-888779-6885 that some numbers , That cylinder has to be Nikasiled,it might cost more than a sleeve but dont half step with that bike, Later D ,John

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 03:59:29 AM »
All kx's are plated as far as I know. I have a 86 kdx 200. Its plated. 97 is definately plated. They can fix the damage.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 04:02:00 AM »
Yes. All years are nickasil plated.   People sometimes refer to it a chrome plating but it is not.  Chrome plating was done in the late 70's but was suceptable to chipping.  Nickasil is much tougher and is lower friction. Cam.