Author Topic: KIPS frozen  (Read 6594 times)

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
KIPS frozen
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2003, 01:28:43 AM »
The air ratchet worked like a hot knife through butter.  Perfect!  (I have a hand impact driver and never did like it.)

So I then began to pull out the valve guides and make note of the position of the rotary valves.  There are marks on them.  So I just pushed the rod all the way in and took digital photos of their positions.  Is that sufficient?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Rick

KIPS frozen
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2003, 06:38:34 AM »
You should be set to go now that the pictures are taken.  Watch as you take everything apart so you can get it back together.  Also, make sure you start and finish the job at the same time.  The more time between disassembly and reassembly, the more likely you are to forget how things came apart.

The big question...Are you having fun?

Rick

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
KIPS frozen
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2003, 11:07:04 AM »

The more time between disassembly and reassembly, the more likely you are to forget how things came apart.

Awe heck.  Waiting a month or so and then looking for little parts all over the place is how *I* have fun!
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Rick

KIPS frozen
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2003, 03:12:50 AM »
A few year back, I was at a National Hare & Hound, and about 5 PM heard a knock on the trailer door.  It seems that one of the racers had his KX500 rebuilt the week before the event and the power valve was timed wrong.  By the time they knocked on my door, they had been working on getting the timing right for about 5 hours.  As I followed the messenger to site of the carnage, I found that there were probably 40 folks offering all kinds of advise on how to time the power valve.  I think at that moment, I could have purchased myself a KX500 pretty cheap, as everyone was pretty frustrated.  Even after I arrived, they continued to offer advice, to which I said nothing, but simply went to work properly timing the valve.  Took about 5 minutes.  Once you get used to how the thing works, it should be a snap for future cleanings.  

Enjoy

Rick