Author Topic: the best gasketts for the k5  (Read 9570 times)

Offline kiwimonster

the best gasketts for the k5
« on: March 02, 2009, 06:04:07 PM »
 was doin a bit of play riding when my k5 started surging and idling strang the noticed a oil leak on the base gaskett , who makes the best brand of gasketts. cheers :evil:
d c scrivens

Offline Bigtim

Re: the best gasketts for the k5
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 02:18:33 AM »
I wrote a review on cometic and athena about amonth ago. I was disapointed w/ the cometic set being incorrect, (hopefully 1 bad set in a production of thousands) and was happy with the athena set based on completeness and correct application..... but then I went on my first ride and blew the base gasket.  Maybe all my fault, i installed dry without any RTV, which i thought was the best way( its worked in the past), torqued to spec  yada yada.
Maybe try something new for all of us... Moose makes a nice kit.   :-P

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 02:30:57 AM »
 I had a mis-stamped Cometic Base Gasket also. They still are very good gasket company. i got some really nice Moose gaskets also. I usually install with light coat of oil. Just enough to say it all got some, with no rtv. Retighten after a couple heat cycles. its a good idea to check for flat surfaces. I never try to re-use a base or head gasket either.

stewart

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 03:53:44 AM »
comitec ,,,,even though a few of the base  gaskets have one hole miss stamped 

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 04:33:19 AM »
kaw has a nice improved base gasket.

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 03:11:05 AM »
Great to have some heavy hitters chime in :-D  Stewart, you probebly go through more gaskets than any one else on this site...I have a few ?'s  how many times have you seen the miss stamped stud hole on a cometic base basket? and secondly do you recomend Knurrling the mating surface?

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 03:13:44 AM »
Kaw rider, There are two OE base gaskets on the microfiche, same size... but one is made of cork and the other traditional green board.  Which are you suggesting is better? one definatly costs more than the other. :|

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 05:06:53 AM »
The one i have is aluminum with rubber coating on it. I've reused it acouple of times aready. Looks great.

stewart

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 08:33:03 AM »
do not knurl  the surfaces...i ve seen three  out off the last 30 sets of comtic base gaskets that  have one hole off

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 09:17:19 AM »
Kawasaki factory part# 11060-1874 that is the rubber coated metal gasket that doesn't blowout .
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline BDI

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 09:42:34 AM »
Kawasaki factory part# 11060-1874 that is the rubber coated metal gasket that doesn't blowout .
Just like the cometic
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline kaw rider

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 09:58:30 AM »
The rubber coated base gasket are nice for kawasaki poor maching of gasket surfaces.

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 10:13:54 AM »
do not knurl  the surfaces...i ve seen three  out off the last 30 sets of comtic base gaskets that  have one hole off

Is this an issue?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »
I have not seen a Cometic Base Gasket Like that.?.? I will pull a kit apart to confirm. The Base Gasket that Kaw Rider & CBX are refering to are (in my opinion) are FAR superior to any Athena, Cometic, etc Base Gasket. I have blown out 2 Cometic and 1 Athena base gasket, before finally replacing with OEM Kawasaki as mentioned above (it will NOT blowout as CBX mentioned, it is steel).
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline BDI

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 01:02:18 PM »
Cometic will make you gaskets out of what ever you wish. A lot of their economy kits come with paper or at least they used too. I order their gaskets individually and out of the material of my choice. They offer rubber coated aluminum gaskets that are the exact same as the stock kawi ones. Infact cometic has been making these gaskets long before kawi ever used them as an OEM part. I'm sure someone at kawi saw how well these gaskets out performed everything else. I have been using them since 98 but the gaskets I have on my bike right now are made from the same thing cometic makes their head gaskets out of and they are steel not aluminum.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!