Author Topic: the best gasketts for the k5  (Read 9569 times)

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
Re: the best gasketts for the k5
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 01:07:24 PM »
I have no experience with after market gaskets, but I do use the OEM base and head gasket and usually rering about every 250 gallons of fuel through the bike. I have never had any leaks and I think I ride more than most people. I have no reason to try any other product, since the kawasaki part works perfect.
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 01:15:02 PM »
not sure which style gasket comes in the cometic topend kit now [fiber or metal] but they do make the rubber coated metal . It's rubber coated 10thousands spring steel part # B0036010S. That is my custom order # I've been have them special made for years along with big-bore head gaskets. I order them in packs of at least five not sure if they sell singles.
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline BDI

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 01:42:17 PM »
The rubber coated steel is the same thing I'm running at the time. I went to them to set my deck height where I wanted it. The foam rubber coated aluminum ones they sell that are the same as what kawi now uses have a compressed thickness of 0.12". I agree that the ones that kawi have made for them work great but they are not a development of kawi,  rather a development of the people who make the materials for making gaskets. These materials were used in other applications long before kawi started using them. It was companies like cometic who saw the benefit of these sweet new materials and started producing motorcycle gaskets out of them. Their are a few of us here who can't buy gaskets from kawi do to the nature of our engine building ideas so we have to be well educated on what gaskets work, who to get them from, and who will make you whatever you want.  Cometic makes crap ass paper gaskets too, It's all about how much $$$ you want to spend.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:44:52 PM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

stewart

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 01:52:48 PM »
i like the   c 7047 comitec head kit

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 01:20:35 AM »
I always ran Cometic and loved it. I've used them since my old days of riding and have never had an issue with miss-stamps (except a few hanging tabs that I just poke out).

Offline BDI

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 11:06:55 AM »
You know whats cool is they will cut you spacers to go under your cylinder. You can get them in different thicknesses so you can change your port timeing or lift your cilinder for stroker cranks. If you ask they will even make the spacers with little holes for the power valves. This way your power valves are held up in place where they belong. I also order my base gaskets with small holes this helps to hold the power valve up in the jug even better. This works very well if you use the foam rubber covered aluminum gaskets, it helps to stop power valve knock. If you use two spring steel base gaskets with a spacer the power valve knock becomes so loud that you will want to take your bike back appart thinking something is wrong :lol: :lol:.

Offline JohnJr

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 01:25:18 AM »
Ihave an 01 KX-500 Iwent with the Moose top end gasket kit with the 1MM optional head gasket, it stopped the pinging and easy starting.

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 03:00:18 AM »
do not knurl  the surfaces...i ve seen three  out off the last 30 sets of comtic base gaskets that  have one hole off
any elaborations on the knurling subject would be appriciated... i've heard of pro-circuit recommending it and it works on many other applications in other industries...
maybe for those who dont know, knurling is puting little divots or a trough on the gasket mating surface for a little area for the gasket to catch into, with a punch or razor blade.  I know stewart does not, but does any other engine builder out there use the technique? :?

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 03:11:37 AM »
Kaw rider, There are two OE base gaskets on the microfiche, same size... but one is made of cork and the other traditional green board.  Which are you suggesting is better? one definatly costs more than the other. :|
sorry:  the old style green board has been updated with the foam backed alum version also avalable in a cometic version.  I just got both, the other is what seems to be cork or wood graine even.. maybe balsa. 

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 03:57:33 AM »
I assume the raised portion of the cometic steel head gasket faces up?
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline BDI

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 05:14:51 AM »
I assume the raised portion of the cometic steel head gasket faces up?
Yes and another way to look at it is the small water holes go on the left and the large water holes go on the right. The idea is to keep the water moveing across the head so the holes are sized that way to do so.

Offline wreck-n-roll rik

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 08:33:06 AM »
I had two missed stamped base gasket from Cometic last summer, so I went with OEM.  I was able to get a lot of gaskets... when our deal closed thier doors this past winter.  I already miss those guys.   :mrgreen:

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 11:11:52 AM »
Got a slight issue... Now I have everything back, I went to put on the base gasket, and the left rear hole dont line up!!

****! Have big ride coming up, what do I do? can I enlarge the hole to fit? or do I try to find a new gasket? Funds are tight, and now panic mode sets in! LOL!

2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

stewart

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 11:28:57 AM »
i just stamp it with a hole punch  half a hole over same diamater  it will work fine,,sad on a new gasket i no i will call them about this problem

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 11:30:34 AM »
i just stamp it with a hole punch  half a hole over same diamater  it will work fine,,sad on a new gasket i no i will call them about this problem

OK, cool thanks man. No worries either!  :-D
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L