Author Topic: Re-assembling the rear linkage...  (Read 3938 times)

teamgreen500

Re-assembling the rear linkage...
« on: November 22, 2003, 11:30:59 AM »
Anyone got any tips on reassembly?  I just pulled it apart to grease everything up and I've noticed that the two link mounts that bolt to the frame and hold the link in place DO NOT want to cooperate!

These mounts are the two pieces that are also part of the swing-arm pivot/motor mounts. getting them together with the washers-shims/pivot-bolt/link seems to be impossible.

Any hints or assembly tricks?

Am I loosing it?

Manny

teamgreen500

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 12:39:50 PM »
Nevermind! :oops:

Well, there's these shim-style washers that go under the heads of the bolts. I thought they were suppose to go BETWEEN the brackets and the frame.

DOH! :roll:

Manny

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 12:42:31 PM »
Hahahaha, I was about to answer and flip you a little sh##, but I see you've got it figured out :wink:

teamgreen500

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2003, 01:01:28 PM »
That's right "Whip-Boy", rub it in... :P

BTW, I checked with Coop, he says you need to "Pancake it" a little more to get the full-effect of "The Whip". 8)

Manny

BTW, where's a riding area between you and L.A. that we can meet at and roost? I'm down there a lot and I'll be traveling with my "Training Equipment".

teamgreen500

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2003, 11:49:27 AM »
Check this,

I've got those 'Shim-washers' everywhere. Do you guys have'em on the Link/Frame pivot bolt? I do and they're not in the parts list for that location.

In other words: I've got the same Thrust/Shim washers between the Link and Frame mounts that go between the link rods and the link/swing arm.

It makes for a nice snug/alligned fit where the link mounts to the frame w/o causing any binding. Interesting...

Manny

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2003, 12:28:24 PM »
I've got the same shim setup you've got, as far as whippin' it out there... My next dune trip will have a better one :wink:

teamgreen500

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2003, 05:53:16 PM »
Actually,

The "Whip" is real nice. You'll need a ramp that allows you to swing over and turn on your downward side. I look forward to watchin' ya pull it off!

Manny

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2003, 06:22:53 PM »
It's easier on my nephews 250 than it is on this thing, the gyro effect of that huge crank is hard to overcome at times  :roll:

Rick

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2003, 05:58:11 AM »
Whip it???   :shock:   Not me!  Over the years, the boys have taught me (mostly though taunting) how to jump, but I'm not real happy getting a lot of air.  While jumping skills are necessary to race at a quick pass (especially down hill blind jumps), I am happy and content to jump in a straight line and land with the gas on.   :wink:   The bike does tend to have a natural whip to the throttle side, but not 'cause I'm tryin'.  

I love to watch folks go over the big jumps, and have lots of pictures of the boys doing tricks in the air, but I guess I started riding too old.  My straight line jumps may not look as cool, but the net effect is the same...the rear wheel on the ground on the landing ramp and the gas on.   Still would like to pull off one whip before I die, but unfortunatly might be the only one I ever did... :lol:

Rick

NastyNick

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2003, 10:34:13 AM »
Rick:  I agree with you wholeheartedly.  My kid can whip is kx125 like no tomorrow, but I prefer to land in one piece, so I keep mine straight.  Maybe someday....