Author Topic: California's DMV's suck. how about yours?  (Read 7237 times)

Offline turtle22

• '89 & '01 kx500 '87 fxr HD '80 xr500
Re: California's DMV's suck. how about yours?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 05:18:55 PM »
so here is the lates on my registering k5, first i find out its a n 89 not a 91(which is ok),so i take it down to the highway patrol for a vin check. well the chp officer(being cool)tells me that he can not find any numbers on the engine,but the one on the frame are clear,so he signeds off on the bike. we(the chp and myself) talked about not having #on the motor. i could not find them(my buddy tells me that it must have after market cases),but it should not be a big deal. it turns out to be a HUGE deal. dmv will not except that there is no #'s on the cases. they want to see the bike or a letter from chp say theres no #. i just about exploded. they want me to bring the bike back that they refused to look at a month before,and will not except what chp has signed off on.
so to cut this story short i have to wait for the special investivgative unit of the chp to look at the bike and IF they cant find numbers on the bike they will give it #'s. at which point i can go back to dmv and get my ownership paperwork(so they say).
i will keep u all posted
lets ride

Offline turtle22

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 05:47:00 AM »
so after 5 trips to the DMV and # trips to the CHP station, im  finally the legal owner of on 89 k5. the nice thing about all of this,is i dont have to deal with registration untill 6/2011.
so i hope this whole exparance has gave u a laught and that u dont have to deal with anything like this(funny thing is i might have to do it again,may buy another k5 for$200and start it all over)
lets ride

Offline grumpy

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 12:49:48 PM »
Wow glad I don?t live in California. I was/am miffed that I have to somehow attach an actual license plate and insure my 5. Idaho changed from a sticker to a plate this year and added that u must carry liability insurance to ride of highway.

Offline turtle22

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 10:39:31 AM »
im just waiting for CA to start the insurance thing. you know at some point they will do it
lets ride

Offline grumpy

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 10:08:52 AM »
Full coverage with medical is only 65$ a year w/500$ deductible. Two of my friends were training for The Best In The Desert series last year crashed. one bike totaled guy broke his hand other bike mostly ok guy in hospital 5 days.

Offline turtle22

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 03:36:05 AM »
i also have insurance(helped when i seperated my shoulder,my k5 bit me :cry:) its nice to have. but at some point it will become mandatory to have and those that dont have it will not be alowed to ride.
lets ride

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 05:47:33 AM »
so here is the lates on my registering k5, first i find out its a n 89 not a 91(which is ok),so i take it down to the highway patrol for a vin check. well the chp officer(being cool)tells me that he can not find any numbers on the engine,but the one on the frame are clear,so he signeds off on the bike. we(the chp and myself) talked about not having #on the motor. i could not find them(my buddy tells me that it must have after market cases),but it should not be a big deal. it turns out to be a HUGE deal. dmv will not except that there is no #'s on the cases. they want to see the bike or a letter from chp say theres no #. i just about exploded. they want me to bring the bike back that they refused to look at a month before,and will not except what chp has signed off on.
so to cut this story short i have to wait for the special investivgative unit of the chp to look at the bike and IF they cant find numbers on the bike they will give it #'s. at which point i can go back to dmv and get my ownership paperwork(so they say).
i will keep u all posted

The first person you dealt with is just lazy or it is there office policy due to them being busy. I have never had a problem with the CA DMV checking/verifying Vin's.