Author Topic: Broken middle exhaust mount bracket!  (Read 8140 times)

Offline Uzi9mm

Broken middle exhaust mount bracket!
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:59:26 AM »
Anyone ever crack an exhaust mount bracket?  Does Kawasaki have steel brackets for sale?   
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline Bigtim

Re: Broken middle exhaust mount bracket!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:10:41 AM »
thats super common on most all 500s. (use the search function)  the # 1 and 2 as you go from motor to tail pipe are the chronic problem. on my rig i've broken the $14.00 steel/ rubber dampner on the #1 spot and have had the #2 spot brake the tab right off the frame. The dampner/ mount that costs too much have lasted me tears so far.  I don't know of any after market tabs.

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 03:26:43 AM »
yep  i broke the aloy piece once and also the mount on the pipe once,
also one mount on the frame once

diff k5 bikes and at diff spots
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 03:31:47 AM »
Had many of them break. Had the frame bracket break, the pipe bracket break, the mounts break. And even had issues with springs falling off.  I now think I have each of those issues addressed and not much breakage anymore. I do however have extra everything now, and watch that area closely. Whenever I take it apart, I watch real close on the fit, I have most shimmed, bent or braced.
  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 03:22:06 PM »
Had it TIG welded yesterday.  The welder added some metal to re-enforce the bracket.  Cleaned the area, ready for paint now.  There's got to be a better way to mount a pipe.  Those damper/mounts are junk and the frame bracket is pretty thin.  I've had a couple of dampers rip but this is the first time ive seen a broken frame bracket.  Anyone use aftermarket vibration dampers?

Offline KX500freak

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 03:51:51 PM »
it,s not aftermarket ,but homemade :wink:

i have taken a view of the dampers apart ,drilled a hole through the damper,
made steel plates of exact the same size .
bolted the damper right on the plates and back in place
still has the damping caracteristic but a little more firm mounting.
it works for me

Offline GDubb

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »

it works for me

I think I have done something similar with the factory steel/rubber mounts. The rubber tore loose of the metal so I drilled straight through all three pieces and put a bolt through the center of the whole thing to hold it all together.  Honestly, I dont get enough time on my bike to test the durability of this fix so I wouldnt bet my life on it but if others have tried a similar fix and had good results then I feel better about it.

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline KX500freak

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 08:25:07 PM »

it works for me

I think I have done something similar with the factory steel/rubber mounts. The rubber tore loose of the metal so I drilled straight through all three pieces and put a bolt through the center of the whole thing to hold it all together.  Honestly, I dont get enough time on my bike to test the durability of this fix so I wouldnt bet my life on it but if others have tried a similar fix and had good results then I feel better about it.

-G

same story here indeed ..they tore loose ,a few off m anyway .
you have done it too ,smart thing,if you are not sure of enough dampingcapability,
you can use longer bolts and a contra-nut ,then you can adjust the tightening.
i have them in since 06 and no trouble at all :)

Offline HodaddyB

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 01:37:54 AM »
I had it happen on my YZ after it was stroked. The spacer plate raised the cylinder, which moved the pipe, etc, etc.
I removed all of the rubber between the two plates and replaced it w/ one of those shock mounts used for Harley oil tanks. They're available all over the place. Working great since 2003.

Offline tharden

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 02:47:52 AM »
Gdubb, since you put a bolt through the entire mount it will then transfer all the vibration to the pipe, and may cause more vibration related stress cracks down the road.  The thing I would do is take the rubber and bolt out and order an isolator from an industrial supplier.  Here is an example.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2NNZ9

Offline HodaddyB

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 07:23:50 AM »
Gdubb, since you put a bolt through the entire mount it will then transfer all the vibration to the pipe, and may cause more vibration related stress cracks down the road.  The thing I would do is take the rubber and bolt out and order an isolator from an industrial supplier.  Here is an example.

Yup, that's basically the Harley part. You can get 'em w/ male/male, like the one shown, female/female, or a half and half. It's really just a spring w/ rubber molded around/through it.

Offline GDubb

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2009, 07:43:44 PM »

You suck for being right.  :-D Both tabs have cracks at the welds. The bottom tab aint so bad yet, only 3/8 inch hairline. The top tab is bad enough that black goo is collecting on top of the head and starting to run down the cylinder but its on the back side of the pipe so I wont know how bad it is until I pull it off and have a look. Hopefully this is something that can be re-welded? I know it will mess up the plating but if its possible its probly much cheaper than a whole new pipe. Plus I have an FMF Burly which you cant even find anymore. Any suggestions fellas? I may just have to spring for that new PC2 setup I've been wanting but I'm trying to resist blowing my whole tax return on the bike. Pockets are on fire! :evil:

-G

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 08:34:52 AM »
GDubb, you could have it TIG welded then polish the weld and spray it with some high temp clear coat. 

http://www.caswellplating.com/vht/vhtclear.htm

Offline GDubb

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 04:46:43 PM »
Sweet... thats what I was hoping to hear. I was thinking if I could get it welded I would have to touch it up with some high temp paint but a clearcoat never even crossed my mind. I think I'll have to try that here soon and post up the details on how it turns out. I'll get some pics too. Just dont expect it real soon... its gonna be a little bit before I get around to it but thanks for the great idea!

-G

PS... thumbs up on the sig Uzi.

Offline newp500

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 01:44:54 AM »
Make sure to check your coil tabs also. My broke on Sunday and the coils needs to be grounded to work. The tabs are just as thin as the exhaust brackets. I machined a new U-shaped for the coil to bolt to and drilled two holes in the old tab to mount it too.

-Rob