Author Topic: wheres the rush?  (Read 5348 times)

Offline slow600

wheres the rush?
« on: January 17, 2009, 01:15:32 PM »
Slightly dissapointed in the power output of my 00 kx500 sumo. I was expecting pull-my-arms-out-of-the-sockets power and I do not have it. For petes sake a yz426 hung right with me. Plug looks nice and tan when pulled. Kips moves freely when pushed/pulled. Bike accelerates smoothly when accelerating just seems to have no top end power or noticable power-band. Only drivability concern is surging when cruising or decelerating. Mods are uni filter, gnarly pipe/turbine core muffler and 15/43 gearing. What else should I check? Thanks

Offline alward25

Re: wheres the rush?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:33:48 PM »
Tire spin is also a HUGE factor. Even with a lot of tire spin, I can still walk away from my buddies yzf 450. However, the torque curve is a lot more broad.  I was a little disappointed in the power at first and then I realized I was spinning the crap out of the tire. It might not hurt to check out your needle and main jet and see what you have. You might be getting enough fuel on top. Might need to fatten up a little on the mid-top jetting. Good luck!!
"Let there be light"

Offline slow600

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 01:55:46 PM »
Sticky pirelli tires are not spinning on the street. It is noticably slower than my other motard a 04 crf450r. Needle is at second notch from the top. Jetting is 168/58 I believe. I just bought the bike, it came with some jets. It was jetted 170/60. It seems better now but still not enough, making me think too rich but plug looks good :? thanks for the help

stewart

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 02:09:15 PM »
must not be close to running right

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 02:25:32 PM »
Slow 600,

As Stewart just stated, it can not be running properly. There is NO way a Blue 426 can hang with a Big Red 500 or the Mean Green K5. You mentioned you checked the power valve operation (by hand?) and you are running the Gnarly pipe, Pull the pipe and LOOK in the port and confirm the barrel valves are opening all the way, and the center valve does not have play in it when open (stick your finger in the center of the port when you pull the rod, when it is open see how much play is in the valve). The Gnarly pipe is more for the off road / woods rider (good bottom & mid) you may consider another pipe (it will still yank the 426 with the Gnarly when running properly) check Stewarts post where he has already done all the work for us on Which pipe to use, the power valve overclosure bolt remedy, etc., etc., etc. Let us know what you find out.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline slow600

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 02:27:17 PM »
well...any suggestions? maybe i just need to make a road trip to joplin.

Offline slow600

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 02:31:30 PM »
i posted a split second too soon :-D valve does open all the way by hand, i havnt done the running test yet to see if it opens at the right rpms. i have read about the bolt mod but since my prob is not bottom range i was gonna wait to try that (mine does over-close a bit). pc pipe will come when the $ does. thanks

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 02:36:28 PM »
Slow 600,

The road trip approach seems to be a gurantee to fix ALL issues. Have you checked the above? Also pull the power valve cover (plastic cover on the cylinder) and watch the actuation of the arm with the bike running on a stand to confirm the Rod is being pulled fully open. Again, let us know what happens, or if you do make the Road Trip how long has it been since you smiled like that!
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 02:36:57 PM »
Slo-6,
  If You could arrange a trip to Stewarts shop I believe all your questions could be answered.
Drop him a note     worldsfastestk5motor@yahoo.com
  I wouldn't be surprised if you went back home with a Rouse KX engine in the truck. :wink:
   Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline slow600

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 03:16:04 PM »
tomorrow i will pull the cover off and check valve running. i just hate the thought of pulling an exhaust that many times and not replacing it. i generally like to do things myself mainly to learn, but im not too arrogant to admit defeat (not yet btw) and let the pros handle it.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 03:33:50 PM »
 Well, a few more things come to mind,
  Is the float level around 17mm?  Could you be starving in upper revs?

What about the gearing.. I admit I don't know how long the straits are in SM, however 15/43 gearing seems kinda high
to me.   I'll snoop around the SM threads and see what the other guys are running..
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline slow600

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 03:40:06 PM »
i have yet to check float height, that will be on my list for tomorrow thanks. did i mention this is street legal in missouri? i geared it tall for the occasional hwy blast. even with the way it runs now, people dont know what to think when i pass them. :-D

Offline k5abuser

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 04:02:03 PM »
the gnarly pipe made the lest power when stewart ran it on the dyno . i would say check compression of piston . maybe the engine is do for a rebuild . and also the reeds  may have a leaking reed .on the street the k5 should walk off from a mod'ed 4 poke !!!
race gas is fast but Q16 hauls azz.i still ride because i am not ready to have been that fast. i ride a kx500 because they don't make a kx600!ck k5abuser on youtube

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 05:12:22 PM »
check compression
meter ignition parts
run motor to see kips operation, if not working it's like having traction control.
and if you just bought it you might have a lam duck, in need of some tlc.
and do a good run and plug chop it.

Offline slow600

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 05:18:23 PM »
all great points, thanks guys. motor is fresh, i know everyone is told that when they buy a bike but i truly believe it this time. bike was owned by a kawi tech in st. louis, now why he put up with the poor performance is beyond me. piston looked like new when i pulled the exhaust off earlier in the week.