Author Topic: 96' KX 5 power input  (Read 5815 times)

Offline newp500

96' KX 5 power input
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:15:45 PM »
I need some input on a 96' KX 5. I bought the bike from the original owner that maybe had 10 hours on it. Changed the fork seals-oil, rear shock seal-oil, tran. oil change, cleaned carb.-rejet for temp., did the update to the KIPS with a bearing until I can get a new bolt, new air filter, new FMF pipe, reeds look good (full seal around all edges) it doesn't lose any tran. oil or coolant, and compression is 175 psi. O.K. here comes the problem, the power is very strong on bottom, o.k. in mid., and flat on top. I'm comparing this to a 03 KX 5 that a friend has that is set up the same as mine. Should mine feel the same as his in power?  If so mine is a pouch. Both are set up for the ice with new tires and hook up great. His pulls same on bottom, better in mid. and like a monster on top. Any input would be awesome to hear.

Thanks,
Rob  :-D

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
Re: 96' KX 5 power input
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:24:48 PM »
sounds like your kips might be your problem.

Offline newp500

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 12:54:09 PM »
sounds like your kips might be your problem.

I check the KIPS for smoothness (very smooth) and used the bearing idea for the overclosing problem. I cleaned the little carbon that was there also. Is there more I can do or check for?

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 01:08:19 PM »
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 03:15:45 PM »
I am assuming you have the stock pipe. An FMF gnarly will make it feel flat on top.  It sounds to me like the KIPPS linkage is not connected properly. Pull off the plastic cover on the clutch side and check.. KX500s rule the ice where I live. Cam.

Offline newp500

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 10:56:42 AM »
Check This Out

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,5057.0.html

Compliments of KawRider

I have the KIPS arm set with a bearing so the barrels are flush with the ports, should I set the barrels so they are opened inside the ports further?

Thanks

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 10:58:53 AM »
Have you tried retarding the timing and are you comparing bikes with the same gear ratios?

Offline newp500

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 11:12:21 AM »
I am assuming you have the stock pipe. An FMF gnarly will make it feel flat on top.  It sounds to me like the KIPPS linkage is not connected properly. Pull off the plastic cover on the clutch side and check.. KX500s rule the ice where I live. Cam.

I had a PC pipe that was hit and touching the frame, so I bought a FMF gnarly. I'm comparing it to a 03' KX 5 that is setup with the same goods (pipe, jetting, reeds), his top end pulls alot harder and will run at a higher rpm than mine. I will check the KIPS again to see if it is opening fully. Could a bad float in the carb be the problem?

A big thanks for the feedback. This forum rules when a guy is having problem from the posts I have been reading. :-)

Offline newp500

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:14:46 AM »
Have you tried retarding the timing and are you comparing bikes with the same gear ratios?

No, I will check into that. Both bikes are running stock gearing 14/47.

Offline fluffy

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 11:20:41 AM »
my 89 float stuck and all it did was bog on top. started good and ran fine,just no power.

Offline newp500

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 11:34:06 AM »
my 89 float stuck and all it did was bog on top. started good and ran fine,just no power.

Thats what I'm look for, thanks fluffy. I'll check everything this week and will check my float height again. I ran all day and at the end it was spitting gas out on the stand. :?

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 05:12:20 PM »
i had a similar problen no top end power the boy's on this site,set me right. Check power value up is opening right up
if not reajust. loosen nut turn shaft down, it got a hole in it. trial and error thighten nut up. start motor ,rev it, with kip cover off you can see if it opening all the way out. that what i did to my, now it's got it top end back.
      good luck let us know about it.

Offline newp500

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 11:42:13 PM »
i had a similar problen no top end power the boy's on this site,set me right. Check power value up is opening right up
if not reajust. loosen nut turn shaft down, it got a hole in it. trial and error thighten nut up. start motor ,rev it, with kip cover off you can see if it opening all the way out. that what i did to my, now it's got it top end back.
      good luck let us know about it.

Thanks... I will definitely be checking the KIPS again, but I think I need to look at the float needle a little bit closer to make sure it is not sticking on me. 

Offline GDubb

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 08:32:20 PM »
Leaking fuel from the vent hose is one sign of the floats being off. Does it rev on its own in neutral or with the clutch pulled in? If so it could deffinitely be the floats or needle valve. Another thing I noticed when my floats were off was that it would start ok when cold but then once it warmed up it was a b***h to start.

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline newp500

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 12:59:03 AM »
Leaking fuel from the vent hose is one sign of the floats being off. Does it rev on its own in neutral or with the clutch pulled in? If so it could deffinitely be the floats or needle valve. Another thing I noticed when my floats were off was that it would start ok when cold but then once it warmed up it was a b***h to start.

-G

I checked the float height when I bought the bike in June and it was good at the time, but it hadn't been run for about 2 years.  I picked up a new float valve yesterday and will replace the old and reset the float height this week. I plan on riding this weekend and will let you know the outcome.

-Rob