Author Topic: my 2001 KX 250/500 conversion  (Read 50010 times)

Offline sintax

Re: my 2001 KX 250/500 conversion
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 10:24:03 AM »
I need some updates on that desert tank! I cant get too far on my stock tank =(

Offline KXer

• Ride hard, ride fast, go home safe.
    • Race-dezert.com
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 02:14:48 PM »
As of right now that desert tank is a bust.  Using the heat gun on the bottom I had to completely remove material above the spark plug.  After doing all of the plastic welding I saw fit, I let it sit for 2 days holding water.  It didn't hold water, leaked about a quart out.

I will try some more plastic welding, and then I am thinking of coating the entire area with RTV silicone.  I think that will be the ticket.

I have bigger fish to fry at the moment.  While out riding in Glamis last weekend, my drainplug fell out (completely stripped, from the previous owner) at the flagpole (We were camped off Gecko).  Its about 8 miles or so to camp and we had 1 hour til sunset.  With some ghetto engineering, I was able to silcone/ JB weld/ ziptie a frisbee holding it in place - we made it back.  About an hour or so after sunset, you could still see with no lights, just not well.  Held together all say Sunday too :D

Bike is torn back down right now.  Found some stress cracks in the cylinder, hoping I hear back from Stewart soon (e-mail).  I think I may take her all the way down to bare frame, finish the Kawasaki unfinished welds on the frame, gusset the craddle, and powder coat.  I am leaning towards black (frame, swingarm etc) ~ still undecided.

Jfab, if you happen to read this, I would also like to pick up a stator cover, and welded up head stay (mine cracked last weekend too). 
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline KXer

• Race-dezert.com
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 06:16:12 PM »
So a bit of an update:
- My cylinder is with Stewart right now, getting rewelded, and replated.
- Should have it back in a couple weeks, with a cleaned power valve, power valve bolt, ported piston mods and some head work
- Just finished today welding in gusstes on the bottom (2) engine mounts, and the (2) forward engine mounts.  Also, plated in part of the frame at the bottom, and welded up the unfinished welds left by Kawasaki.
- Picked up the bottom end from a machine shop today where he built me a new drain plug.

Will have a new jfab head stay shortly.
Bike goes in to powder coat later this week, I can't wait to get this all back together.

Pics to follow soon.
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline KXer

• Race-dezert.com
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »
Here is how she looks right now... (with now functional desert tank)

I am digging the all black frame/ swingarm
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2009, 01:53:59 PM »
Any special tricks to getting the tank to fit?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline KXer

• Race-dezert.com
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2009, 03:44:43 PM »
Any special tricks to getting the tank to fit?

Well, I used a heat gun, plastic tipped hammer (though any decent hammer would also work), and a large file.  I had to completely change the shape of the bottom of the tank (right where it meets the head) with the heat gun and hammer.  Once it was reshaped and fit the bike and clearance for the sparkplug I found there was still a pinhole leak. 

Found a "Plastic gas tank repair kit" at Kragen Auto parts, (which is basically a fiberglass kit, with cheese cloth, resin and hardener).  so i fiberglass the bottom back in, then sanded down the area and also used a tube of superglue around the edges.  Tested it with water - no leaks, then tested it with premixed fuel and is holding up great.

I will try to remember to snap some photos of the bottom of the desert tank tomorrow.
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline KXer

• Race-dezert.com
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 01:38:36 PM »
**UPDATE** SHE RUNS!!  I can't say thank you enough for Stewart and the work he put in to my cylinder.  I highly recommend him for any K5 engine work!

I will have pics in the next few days, but here is a brief list of what I did while she was down:
New cylinder plating with window mod piston, and cleaned power valve.
Also picked up a Vforce reed block from Stewart
Head stay from Jerry )Jfab) which worked out great for me as well with a slight modification
New carb from Sudco (running a 172 main, in the 2nd position
Air box vents (3) on each side
FINALLY finished desert tank.  IT IS A PITA, to get this right, and in the long run ended up having to fiberglass and epoxy the bottom any way.
Gusseted and plated frame
Black powder coated fram, subframe, triple clamps, and swing arm.

I am heading to Glamis this weekend.  Broke in the piston earlier today.
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline KXer

• Race-dezert.com
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2009, 10:08:01 AM »
Some pics:

Right side

Left side

Air box vents

Gusseted engine mounts

Front
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2009, 06:03:11 PM »
Looks real good.

Offline KXer

• Race-dezert.com
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2010, 06:14:06 PM »
My build got moved into the right section.

Only update is that the desert tank is finally mounted.  PITA, I'd say more trouble then it was worth, but I have almost a whole extra gallon fuel capacity now.  Last sand trip of the season coming up in a few weeks, I'll try to get some new pics up.
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline junk man

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2010, 05:59:34 PM »
KXer if your tank fails you one day i wounder how a KDX tank might work ? or there's the fork mounted type the small size is just under a gallon (.8 ) so ten miles into your ride or so its almost empty and the gas is in the main tank they don't just bolt on but probably less work then you desert tank    just a thought   JM

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »
Do you think a KDX tank might work in the KX frame?
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline KXer

• Race-dezert.com
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2010, 01:31:31 PM »
KXer if your tank fails you one day i wounder how a KDX tank might work ? or there's the fork mounted type the small size is just under a gallon (.8 ) so ten miles into your ride or so its almost empty and the gas is in the main tank they don't just bolt on but probably less work then you desert tank    just a thought   JM

I saw that you had the number plate aux tank, that wouldn't work for me due to the W.E.R. steering damper I have mounted on the fender.  I had to cut up my front number plate pretty good.  I wonder though, how the added APPROX 5lbs (.8 ga) of fuel changes the handling on that bike.  Let me know as I am interested.

On a side ARGH!?! note, went to swap on my knobbies and noticed that I had race gas on the floor (under the bike).  Meaning that the pre mixed race gas that was still in the tank from 2 weeks ago, ate through the fiberglass patch work.  MAN, what a PITA !!  What will seal that tank better than epoxy, RTV, fiberglass, superglue (lol) etc?  I really don't want this bike catching on fire under my seat.
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline KXer

• Race-dezert.com
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2010, 11:02:53 AM »
Been riding the beast at the local MX tracks, and found out last night that both my head stay AND front engine mount are broken.  How are other engine mounts holding up on the conversions?  My engine mounts were gusseted and everything, oh well.  I need to add another pipe mount anyway.
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2010, 11:28:18 AM »
Been riding the beast at the local MX tracks, and found out last night that both my head stay AND front engine mount are broken.  How are other engine mounts holding up on the conversions?  My engine mounts were gusseted and everything, oh well.  I need to add another pipe mount anyway.
This is what I am afraid of. I was wondering how the front mounts on everybodies steel frame bikes have been holding up.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.