Author Topic: my 2001 KX 250/500 conversion  (Read 50016 times)

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

Re: my 2001 KX 250/500 conversion
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 10:09:54 AM »
Nice.... Better put the rubber insulator in there or you will be welding on the chrome/nickel soon! I'm not trying to be critical it all looks great.  JFAB
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline KXer

• Ride hard, ride fast, go home safe.
    • Race-dezert.com
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 10:15:25 AM »
Nice.... Better put the rubber insulator in there or you will be welding on the chrome/nickel soon! I'm not trying to be critical it all looks great.  JFAB

I will be for sure.  This was a quick weekend trip to shake out the bugs.  I think I've shaken them out and I can complete my conversion soon.  Speaking of which, any chance you will be making clutch covers, preferrably with the ability to pull just the clutch out?  Your stator covers look slick.

Stupidity should hurt!

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »
Thank you sooooo much for the pics.  I see where you have a clearance issue.  I'm wondering how it fits on an AF bike.  The pipe to cylinder clearance shouldn't be different should it? 
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 02:27:38 PM »
A little late but look at this:

The elbow nipple appears to be turned upside down and a long hose is used to connect.  Can't see if there is anything changed on the water pump end.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »

I will be for sure.  This was a quick weekend trip to shake out the bugs.  I think I've shaken them out and I can complete my conversion soon.  Speaking of which, any chance you will be making clutch covers, preferrably with the ability to pull just the clutch out?  Your stator covers look slick.

I may be machining my stock clutch cover to do that but I think cost would keep most people from buying a billit (if you will) clutch cover. Who knows?
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2009, 08:15:09 PM »
When I did my 250/500 hybrid , I used FMF 450/500 system .
The front mount I used kx250 06 rubber insulator , they seem to be stronger then the kx500 ones.

Bolted direct to orignal kx250 01 mount .The gap from insulator to FMF pipe was joined by a bit of flat alumiun held by high tensile bolts,nylon nuts worked well so far. Had to dent pipe for clearence around coolant pipe on right hand side of cyclinder.

I have a spare clutch cover with a crack on face  perfect candidate for clutch cover mod, I just wondering if a
 kx250/ 450 cover comes close .  does anyone knows?

Offline AJ

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2009, 12:09:29 PM »
cool to see it all together!

on the KXAf's we do run  a different hose set up between the water pump and cylinder..
we were hand making a fitting and hosw,,
but then ended up having complete silicone hose  kits made up..

i need to get the pricing for the hose kit figured out and we'll offer them to you guys who might need it..?

Offline KXer

• Race-dezert.com
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 02:13:38 AM »
AJ,
As I said in that e-mail, I would definitely be interested in a "Hose kit" once you figure out pricing.

Thanks man.
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 03:33:34 AM »
I would be too, but wondering if they would work with my stock bike before conversion.

Offline don46

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 05:15:14 AM »

I may be machining my stock clutch cover to do that but I think cost would keep most people from buying a billit (if you will) clutch cover. Who knows?

Here's a picture of my removeable clutch cover, it was way more work than it was worth, if someone actually had one for sale I think I'd buy one.

This is on a 05 250f conversion, pretty sure it would work on an aluminum frame as well.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 05:16:52 AM by don46 »
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline KXer

• Race-dezert.com
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 05:29:14 AM »
Nice work Don.  That is a piece of art right there.  I would love to have something like that.
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline gwcrim

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2009, 02:18:35 AM »
KXer, did you fit your oversized tank on the bike?  I'm wanting to do the same and wanted some direction.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change

Offline KXer

• Race-dezert.com
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2009, 04:02:34 AM »
It needs to go under the heat gun again for final fitment.  That has been a back burner as I am still waiting on my water pump seal and counter shaft o-ring seal.  The desert tank will be next though as this is a thirsty pig.  lol.
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline KXer

• Race-dezert.com
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 07:06:02 AM »
Well my bike has been kicking my arse.  After the initial shake down, I found that I had oil leaking from the counter shaft (o-ring) and the water pump (seal).  well I replaced them both.  In doing so I have been trying to figure out a better way to dent in the pipe around the radiator hose coming out of the cylinder.  I'm close.  I dented the pipe a bit more, and then wrapped the hose in header wrap.  We will see after this weekend how it held up.  In doing so I seem to have stripped one of the threads in the cylinder.  d**n.

Then I found the counter shaft to still be leaking with the new o-ring so I went to ACE Hardware and bought a new o-ring with the same ID but larger OD.  Fit that on the shaft and then had to grind down the spacer just a hair.  Seems to be holding oil now.

Heading out to Glamis tomorrow morning, I'll report back with how she did.  I'll try to get more pics up too. 

Still no desert tank.  Haven't made it back into the shop.
Stupidity should hurt!

Offline don46

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 07:54:21 AM »
The pipe is pretty tight, even after lovingly massaged, what I do when it's time to come off is drain the coolant and loosen the hose clamp and 2 srews on the cylinder and it comes off no problem, but of course its a 500 so you don't hardly ever have to take it off.
Live today, for tomorrow may never come