Author Topic: IRC tires  (Read 6273 times)

mikesmith

IRC tires
« on: November 01, 2003, 07:59:32 AM »
Any one run IRC VE35/VE33 tires in the rocks,mud and hard pack?I heard there long lasting tires but wonder how they handle?

teamgreen500

IRC tires
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2003, 12:41:29 PM »
Mike,

I've run the VE32 and have had really good luck with it. It works good everywhere and lasts forever. Cheap, too!

Manny

kawdude

IRC tires
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2003, 03:12:42 PM »
Who's a recommened supplier of these tires.

mikesmith

IRC tires
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2003, 07:40:11 AM »
I have had nothing but good things from rockymountainmc.com,VE/35 is front tire at $32.99,the VE/33 is $49.99 in a 110/90x19.I bought Maxxis IT's last time,rear is good tire but the front wont hold a line but would be OK for slower trail riding.The 756's I had were a great set of tires but wore out to fast for my wifes spending.So I'm trying to find the best tires for the money and have read a few good things about these IRC's,but handling is as important as wear and I'm looking for feed back on how they work.Manny they only have VE39/VE40 and VE35/VE33's in the catalog,is your VE32 a front or rear tire?Hows it handle in mud,rocks and hard pack?

Rick

IRC tires
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 02:57:34 AM »
I flat love the IRC tires, and used them exclusively until we received a Bridgstone sponsorship.  I have actually tried to get an IRC sponsorship, but was never successful in getting them to talk to us, so I just quit trying.  Too bad, because they are GREAT tires!  If I am ever able to put a deal together with IRC, I will stay with them until I am old and gray.   The price is right, so wrap a set around your rims, and see what you think.  I don't think you will be disappointed.  

Rick

teamgreen500

IRC tires
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2003, 05:16:42 AM »
Mike & Rick,
I've had really good luck with the VE-32 front and Kenda Carlsbad Rears (Cheap @ Chaparral $32.99 300/21  & 47.97 120-90/19 + $10 ea/ship-I think Rocky Mt. has the Kenda...I've had good luck with Chaparral, myself). I've also had good luck with Michelein S-12's; However, they wear pretty quick. As Rick said, the Dunlops work good - Cost TOO MUCH! Bridgestones have been good tires also (M22/M23 & ED & M601-2).

I feel the VE-32 & Carlsbad combo are the best bang for my $. They both work good in most conditions, hold up in the rocks (Real important for Mike and myself) and they LAST!

Manny

Rick

IRC tires
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2003, 08:54:50 AM »
Yup, the S-12 tires go away too fast.  Heck, I can put one to bed in just one race.  As far as that goes, the boy can put one to bed in a few rides on his little 125.  

On the other hand, the M-12's hold up better.  I currently have a 110-90x19 M-12 on the rear, and it seems to be holding up pretty good.  Just had an extra M-12 new tire in the attic, and didn't have time to get in a Bridgestone before the last race.  

Rick

kawdude

IRC tires
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 11:59:12 AM »
Excellent post everyone!  I have question.  My 5 is in need of new tires and this post will definately guide my decision.  The other day I was looking at my tires and noticed that the rear hub on my is cracking apart on the brake side.  What's causing this?  I also noticed that the rim is an 18" not a 19".  Which size is better?  Where do I get a new rear assembly?

mikesmith

IRC tires
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 08:35:20 PM »
Where by the brake side is the crack,by the rotor?Are the bolts for the rotor loose,or were they loose at one time?Or did the rotor take a big hit from a rock?Dennis Kirk has wheels,I think a rear is around$500.00-$600.00,no tax and free shipping.I'd have to look up the exact cost.I'd just get a "18,opens up more tire selection,some say a "19 is more flat prone(I'm not having a problem with my "19 though)and more rim prtection on a "18.

Rick

IRC tires
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 02:45:32 AM »
Yup, if you have a damaged rim, go to an 18"...more tires to choose from.  Short of a damaged rim, I wouldn't spend the money.  I, too, have heard of the 19" flat prone problem.  However, in all the races I have entered, both Nationals and regionals, Desert to ISDE qualifiers, and all the rocks and logs I have had to endure, I have only had one flat, and that was on the front.  I was just beginning to race the National series, and got a flat front flat 10 miles into the event.  Raced the next 90 miles on a front flat.  Ironically, at every check I was informed I had a front flat.  Like I didn't know, Duh.  

As a note, I have never had a rear flat during an event.  I guess the key to my success is the heavy duty Fly tubes, and I use two tubes each year, front and rear.  I give my old ones away at races when someone has a flat and needs a tube.  The long and short of this is that I have not had problems with flats with a 19" rim, and I ride pretty fast and hard, and ride a lot of miles, so don't believe the "more prone to flat" story.

As for the rear hub, if the rim and spokes are good, just swap out the hub with a Talon hub.  Super strong, and you should be able to get one for about $300.

Good Luck.

Rick

mikesmith

IRC tires
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 07:33:22 AM »
Hey Rick,you have a front flat!Ha!

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
IRC tires
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 07:40:05 AM »
Having been a victim of the infamous 19" pinch flat i can honestly say one of the first things to go on mine is the rim. Changing it out to 18 with a set of Excel spokes is better than chancing another race finish. ESPECIALLY with the rocks we have out here...

kawdude

IRC tires
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 11:43:30 AM »
My hub where the bearing sits is "peeling" away.  Weird thing. and costly...

kawdude

IRC tires
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 02:04:32 PM »
Whose 18" rim and hub do I buy?

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
IRC tires
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2003, 02:23:30 PM »
The only 18 offered is the Excel. I wanted the DID rim but they aren't made with the correct number of wholes for the 500. The hub of choice - Talon.