Author Topic: zipty pipe  (Read 10731 times)

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

zipty pipe
« on: November 30, 2008, 06:42:56 AM »
Does anybody on here have a good side shot of their 500 with the Zip Ty pipe/tank kit? Im trying out a 89-94 KDX200 tank and so far its pretty much a bolt on except for some pipe clearance issues. I might be able to heat the tank some but I would like to avoid that if I can. I think the zipty pipe will give me all the clearance, and then some, that I need.
Thanks, Rob
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline Charlie500

Re: zipty pipe
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 02:44:02 PM »
i got the kit, but it is going to be a little while before i finally get some pics up here of it. I am waiting on some cash to get my frame and swing arm powder coated before i start putting everything together...

-charlie-
2014 KX 450 Bark-Buster

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 03:40:05 PM »
No problem, my bike is in need of some work also. Thanks for the reply!

Offline kawsf

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 04:08:21 PM »
Here is a few pictures,hope this will help.

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 12:41:45 PM »
Thats exactly what I was looking for! Thanks alot! With that pipe, there will be plenty of clearance. I may pull the FMF Gnarly off of it tonight and test fit the KDX tank. As I said, it looks like a bolt on with no fabrication needed. I may have to make a bracket to fit the KDX shrouds, but that would be easy.

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 06:14:20 AM »
This isn't the Zipty pipe, but same thought and ignore the dirt... :-P

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 02:01:36 AM »
is that a gnarly desert pipe?
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 02:56:28 AM »
I truly don't know.  I bought the bike with this tank/shrouds/pipe on it.  I find it really comfortable, but the tank leaks, especially bad if I put more than a gallon at a time in it.  So, I'm hoping I can find another of these tanks so I don't have to replace everything, even though I want a Pro Circuit Platinum 2 pipe. :-D

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 03:03:50 AM »
I DO know, however, that I have absolutely NO top end, although I attribute that to needing a rebuild...  She still starts fine and quick, but I regularly get killed by 250s, not to mention 450s...

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2009, 03:13:25 AM »
Thanks! I think I read somewhere that FMF was making the pipe for Zip Ty.

Offline alward25

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 03:58:39 AM »
I truly don't know.  I bought the bike with this tank/shrouds/pipe on it.  I find it really comfortable, but the tank leaks, especially bad if I put more than a gallon at a time in it.  So, I'm hoping I can find another of these tanks so I don't have to replace everything, even though I want a Pro Circuit Platinum 2 pipe. :-D
When I talked to IMS about a leaky tank and if I could get another they said if I get them the tank code, they would make me another. Mine was leaking at the base of the filler cap threads. I ended up plastic welding it. Worked out great! The tank code from what I can tell is KX500 FF. Good luck!
"Let there be light"

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 04:06:08 AM »
In the last 10 years or so, Ive had 4 tanks crack from IMS. 3 at the filler neck and one underneath. They replaced the ones I sent back. I switched back to Clarke tanks for my 04 KX250.

Offline BDI

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 08:45:21 AM »
This isn't the Zipty pipe, but same thought and ignore the dirt... :-P

If fmf offered a low boy pipe why isn't AJ using that pipe to make pipes for his kx500 af. Mine is built from the zip-ty low bow and it fits great with no clearance issues.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline kawsf

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 12:05:23 PM »
At one time you could get the fmf pipe or the flo pipe from zipty.You could chose witch pipe you wanted.I'm sure you would have to go through zipty to buy the fmf pipe.I don't think he sold that many of the fmf pipes.I have seen very few pictures of them on bikes.At the time i purchased my kit the flo pipe was all i could get.

Offline kwakman

• Kwikasfuki KX500
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2009, 02:23:16 AM »
the fmf pipe pictured runs outside the frame like standard.the af requires it to run inside the subframe. is this the only desert pipe fmf sell ? i ask this as the length and cone shape look similar to my gnarly torque.
          I NEED A TOP END PIPE REAL BAD!
anyone.....
And lo, I did loft the front wheel and carried it forth to the unbelievers, and cast it down before them and said unto them ''look now upon the might of my throttle control ye pitiful cretinous ones''
And the unbelievers did quake in their boots....