Author Topic: Stripped K5 drain plug  (Read 3810 times)

DEZADX

Stripped K5 drain plug
« on: November 19, 2008, 02:09:48 PM »
The heli-coil that was put in recently has stripped out.  Any solutions on how to fix and where to get another?

DEZADX

Re: Stripped K5 drain plug
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 02:12:17 PM »
Sorry, I accidently put this in the wrong section.  Still need the help, though.  Thanks.

Offline k5abuser

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 02:27:33 PM »
dril and tap to the next size up in american thread's. take your time and back the tap out every turn and a half to make sure you don't mess the new threads your cutting ( use trans fluid as a lube for the tap ). this is best done with the cases apart . if you can't than flush the motor out with pre mix gas and oil than fill up with oil start and drain and refill with oil.that shouod clean out the motor safely. good luck
race gas is fast but Q16 hauls azz.i still ride because i am not ready to have been that fast. i ride a kx500 because they don't make a kx600!ck k5abuser on youtube

stewart

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 02:44:33 PM »
dont install  to long of a new bolt or it will hit the parts inside..i tap them 7/16 fine thread  and use a bolt about 1/2 inch long

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 02:59:08 PM »
I did the same thing this summer. I found this website for a variety of plugs metric and american. Many have magnets to grab metal.

http://www.cgenterprises.com

Check it out.         ID KX500
"Endeavor to persevere."

DEZADX

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 03:21:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for your help.

Stewart, how much space is there between the bottom of the cases where the drain bolt is and nearest parts?  I was planning on using the same length bolt as the stock one I took out.  Thanks.

Motorrad

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
When ever I have to drill, make new threads into a case I dont feel like splitting...

PRESSUREISE THE CRANK CASE with air.... best way is to have somone blow air into the crank case (blocking all outlets) so it blows all the air out the drain plug hole while you do the needed work... this will keep most of the metal shavings out of the motor (as it blows them out).... then a quick rinse/flush with mineral spirits will clean things out nice....

stewart

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 01:23:01 AM »
to long a bolt   around 3/4  long hits the shifter fork drum

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 03:15:20 AM »
Lots of good tips here.  Definitely use a short fine thread bolt - you can cut it shorter.  I coat my tap with grease to collect the aluminum particles then remove it often and clean it. A magnet won't work of course. Flushing with premix is a fogotten but excellent technique. The premix actually grabs the aluminum and floats it.  My best tip is to lockwire the drain plug.  Once I did that I lost the tendency to overtorque and this problem went away.  In my gallery there are some pics of where to anchor the lockwire. Hope this helps. Cam.

ps I once retapped a spark plug hole with nothing but grease on the tap and then premix to float out the remianing particles and it worked perfectly.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 04:05:23 AM »
I drill a hole and J- B Weld a magnet in the end of the oil drain plug on all my vehicles.  If you do that before you start the repair, it will have time to set.
KX 500 Rider

Offline moron

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 07:55:12 AM »
I had a more severe problem - my drain plug was smashed off.

I welded the hole full and drilled and tapped a new hole.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »
Moron, that makes me sad just looking at it, and I dont own the bike. Looks like you may have lost a weekend of riding to get it fixed.  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline moron

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 02:40:03 AM »
Lost more than a weekend John, took 3 weeks trial and error to sort out.
Here is the finished job
steve