Author Topic: Death/Rebirth of a KX500  (Read 41517 times)

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
Re: Death/Rebirth of a KX500
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2010, 04:36:28 AM »
When I called Pro Moto (PM) I asked if anyone had tried to mount it on a KX450F.  They are made for the KLX450R.  The salesman said he has a KX and it took a little cutting but he made it work.  I have not finished with the install yet.  The spacers that came with the unit are the wrong fit on the MX bike.  I driller them out to fit the seat bolt.  I drilled out the threads on 2 small nuts for spacing the lower mounts.  The muffler Service Honda (SH) uses is not compatible with the rack.  They use the seat bolt as the top mount for the muffler.  I had a new mount machined and tig welded and it utilizes the stock mount hole.  I cut off the SH mount.  It left a scab that I dress up the best I could.  It's covered by the number plate.  The muffler sticks up and back more than the stock muffler.  I had my machine shop guy cut the right side mount to fit with the muffler.  This took away from the strength it had so he machined a part to fit between the mounting points to add strength.  I will have to cut the number plate to accept the reworked mount.  I'll get some pictures and add them to this post after work so you will have a better understanding of what has to be done.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:50:48 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline ID KX500

• Life, Liberty, and The Pursuit of Happiness
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2010, 05:11:09 AM »
  Thread in KX450F/KX250F section of mounting a ProMoto Billet Rack on a 450F

http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,7911.msg60753/topicseen.html#new

Thanks Danger, sounds like you have a different problem on your right side. I'll post my fix also when I get a round tuit, I've been trying to get my riding in this summer before the snow flies again. A pic of what it looked like before it got loose. It was nice to be able to have an extra 2 1/2 gal.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:42:59 AM by Danger4u2 »
"Endeavor to persevere."

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2010, 08:47:28 AM »
When I had the bike torn down I took the airbox out of the sub frame and noticed the pipe was melting it.  I wanted to put header wrap on  the hot area but the hot rod shops only had it in 50ft. rolls at $2.25 a foot. 
I found a 16ft. roll at NAPA Auto Parts for $20 bucks.
So now I have 14ft. of header wrap I will never use.
I put it on with stainless tie wire and hose clamps.
KX 500 Rider

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2010, 01:33:50 PM »
I would like to thank gianni2takt for showing us where to drill the head and how to install the compression release.  I would like to thank Larry for doing the work on the head.  And the biggest THANKS to Stewart for going through my motor, making it the best it can be.
A thank you goes out to Factory Connection Muskogee Oklahoma location for the respring and revalve of my forks/shock.  So far I have only done my first start up/warm up so I have not done the "real" riding/testing yet.  I'll do a follow up post on how it all works together after I go through the break in process.
KX 500 Rider

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2010, 03:24:29 PM »
Danger,
I'm sure if your knees could speak (or type) they would also be thanking Larry! Did it make it alot less painful kicking for you? I can't hardly kick mine over without the release.
DoldGuy.
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2010, 04:24:07 PM »
I feel kind of stupid.  Like I was a school boy at his first dance.  I've had this thing apart since mid February.  I gassed it up with 32 to 1.
I run 40 to 1 after break in.  I filled the radiator with 50/50 distilled vinegar and distilled water to flush the system.  Got a cinder block to stand on for more leverage.  Gave it 2 slow prime kicks.  Compression release working great!  Then I gave it 5 mule kicks and nothing.
Forgot to turn the gas on.  53 years old and still a newbie.  2 slow prime kicks.  2 more mule kicks.  Forgot to choke.  With the choke and the gas on it fired in 1 kick and ran perfect.  I ran it for 7 minutes putting around the parking lot, killed it and drained the radiators.  I have a grass hill in the back at about a 45 degree angle, lay the bike over for a second you get all the water out.  Forgot to turn OFF the gas (newbie).  Refilled with straight distilled water and set up the shop fan to cool it off faster.  A few hours later I did a 10 minute putt around/drain refill.  In the morning I'll do another 10 minute putt around, drain and refill with engine ice.  After that I'll ride it fairly easy until I need to gas up.  After that I'll ride it like I stole it. Yes the compression release made it almost painless.  The AF bike is not easy to kick because the kicker on the 2 stroke does not stick out as far as the 4 stroke motor.  If you don't have your foot just right your heal hits the number plate.
Man time fly's,  Good night.
KX 500 Rider