Author Topic: Help With Broken Chain adjuster  (Read 4955 times)

Offline stock500

Help With Broken Chain adjuster
« on: October 21, 2008, 06:21:01 AM »
My chain adjuster bolt on my sprocket side has broken off.  I have tried to turn it out but I can't seem to get it to turn enough to get it out.  How the hell do get this thing out?
It's all in the wrist!  Save a tire, shift early!

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: Help With Broken Chain adjuster
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 06:26:19 AM »
a left-turning threadmaker dunno how its called in tech.english,
this way you can tap a smaller bolt in the original bolt,
and then you can loose it by tightening the smaller bolt

note :use a strong bolt 8.8 or more
good luck :-)
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 06:27:31 AM »
There are a few options.  Best is to get a screw extractor set.  They are small tapered shafts with a reverse twisted ridge on them.  Drill a pilot hole in the broken bolt, tap in the extractor and turn it out with the extractor.  That is about the only sure way. Sometimes on a adjuster bolt (since you have good access from the side) you can use a hammer and sharp punch to tap near the perimeter of the bolt (on the broken face) to make it turn. Slow but effective.  Hope these ideas help. Cam.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:09:39 AM »
stock5, is there anything left of the bolt sticking out? or is it broken off flush? cams extractor suggestion is good. however, you need to center punch the bolt so you are sure you are drilling in the center. if you get off to the side you will end up really ticked off. i see guys at work mess this up all the time. make sure you use some kind of penetrating oil when you start to extract the bolt. by the way, don't horse on the extractor. extractors are extremely hard and if you break an extractor off in the hole the whole project is pretty well screwed. welding is the only option after that. if i can help any further, feel free to give me a call. i'll pm you the phone number. MADDOGGY

Offline bunk

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 03:33:44 AM »
So.... my sprocket side adjuster bolt broke this weekend.  Any ideas on what causes that to break?  Is there really that much pressure on those where it snaps? 
01' 500

Motorrad

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 03:43:39 AM »
Dont know if you have a Mig welder or not.... But my way of extracting bolts like this, is to get a nut.... set it over the broken bolt.... and weld them together....   helps if you use a smaller nut than the bolt (creates a guide so you dont get into the swing arm)... then you just remove with a wrench......

Makes it nice because your not at risk for drilling the threads out of the swingarm.

Also... if the bolt will spin freely, just doesnt have enough to get ahold of.... Try getting a drill.... (electric) and putting either a bad drill bit, or a piece of rod in it..... push it REALLY hard against the bolt, and spin it counter clockwise.... sometimes it will because of the friction cause the bolt to spin with the bit and walk it out..  (only works if the bolt spins freely)...

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 04:42:11 AM »
So.... my sprocket side adjuster bolt broke this weekend.  Any ideas on what causes that to break?  Is there really that much pressure on those where it snaps? 

I don't now if your wheel was far to the back. Thats wy Pro circuit sells asimetric axle blocks so that
 the bolt doesn't gets to long  and break.
Snap On sells Left turning drills, there are awsome. Not cheap but very good!!

Dutchie
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:52:07 AM »
Once you get it out get some Never Seez and coat the threads.  I use Zip Ty axel blocks.  The bolt goes through the block and has a c clip that holds the block to the bolt.  When you remove the axle the blocks stay on the bike.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:54:34 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline bunk

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 11:32:21 AM »
Those zip-tie blocks look like the way to go.  Thanks for posting that up.
01' 500

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 01:24:16 PM »
Once you get it out get some Never Seez and coat the threads.  I use Zip Ty axel blocks.  The bolt goes through the block and has a c clip that holds the block to the bolt.  When you remove the axle the blocks stay on the bike.

don't ever use silver antisieze on a bolt that contacts aluminum. the silver kind actually eats away at the aluminum and when you try to remove the bolt it will sieze up and you'll probably break it off and then the cussing will start.
trust me i've done it and learned the hard way.  MADDOGGY

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 04:17:45 AM »
Never Seez doesn't eat aluminum.  Never Seez has aluminum in it.  Never Seez is cheap insurance.  But, you dont want to Never Seez every bolt because you would have bolts fallin out every ride.  Chain adjuster bolts would be fine though because that bolt cant just fall out.  Maddoggy, dont know what happened to your bolt but maybe it was cross threaded or cracked.

http://www.bostik-us.com/tds/TDSFiles/NSRegular.pdf

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/general-ducati-chat/46667-how-do-i-avoid-galling-galvanic-corrosion.html

Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 10:59:27 AM »
Never Seez doesn't eat aluminum.  Never Seez has aluminum in it.  Never Seez is cheap insurance.  But, you dont want to Never Seez every bolt because you would have bolts fallin out every ride.  Chain adjuster bolts would be fine though because that bolt cant just fall out.  Maddoggy, dont know what happened to your bolt but maybe it was cross threaded or cracked.

i've been paid as a master mechanic since i was 18 years old. i'm not saying that i know everything but trust me when i tell you not to do something. i wouldn't share the info if i hadn't experienced it. however, you can "never seez" every part on your bike and it won't make any difference to me. i am just trying to help. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 11:02:48 AM by maddoggy »

Offline Uzi9mm

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 05:48:20 PM »

i've been paid as a master mechanic since i was 18 years old. i'm not saying that i know everything but trust me when i tell you not to do something. i wouldn't share the info if i hadn't experienced it. however, you can "never seez" every part on your bike and it won't make any difference to me. i am just trying to help. 

I sent Bostik an email which asked them if "Never-Seez" is safe to use on aluminum.  Here is their response.  You should call them if you have had experience with "Never-Seez" eating aluminum.

"Our Never-Seez products have aluminum in the product. There would be no
problem with using our Never-Seez products for your application.  If you have
a concern please give me a call at 972-355-3791."

Phil Bentley
Bostik Representative
Fear the government that fears your gun.

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 09:42:49 PM »
the brand i used that led to this experience was PERMATEX. never seez brand may not cause the same problem, but past experience makes me gun shy of any silver brand. i now use the copper based anti-sieze exclusively. by the way, ever see how a tiny drop of silver anti-sieze can miraculously cover your whole body in minutes?  :lol: the copper based products don't have that body covering effect either.  MADDOGGY

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 01:49:41 AM »
On the label of the Bostik Never-Seez I use, it says copper formula.
KX 500 Rider