Author Topic: What Handlebar Width Do You Run?  (Read 10236 times)

Offline KXcam22

What Handlebar Width Do You Run?
« on: October 16, 2008, 04:49:07 PM »
I am curious as to what handlebar width everyone is running and why.  What is everyones setup for MX, trails and singletrack etc.  Or do you just run whatever width came on the bike, bars etc.  In the old days I used to always cut mine to a specific width but now I don't recall what it was or if it is as important as it used to be.  Let's hear everyones setup.  Cam.

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Re: What Handlebar Width Do You Run?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 11:13:11 PM »
I run whatever is on sale.  Iron Pony sells some aluminum bars for about $12 + shipping and I just bought a pair.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 01:54:12 AM »
Man, that's a good question.  I know I used to cut them when I rode tracks a lot, but I cannot remember what the length was.  :| 26 pops into my head.

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 05:17:26 AM »
Their's not but one kind of bars and that's 1 1/8 Pro Tapers bars. The flex is unreal and make's the front end so sweet. I cut mine down to 30" just for woods riding (tight single track) I perfer to buy the woods cut instead of cutting mine any more.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:11:18 AM »
 I currently use the Pro Taper SE bars with the cr bend. They call it the cr high bend. I cut three quarters inch off each end, but have never put a tape measure on it ,so I dont know the actual width. I will measure it later.  I ride wide trails, single track, but do not race.  I have no problems, even with the tightest of trails, I usually can miss most of the trees with the bars, ( my shoulders are a different story ) .
  Have a great weekend, I'm going up North riding for a couple of days.
   John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Albertan

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 01:56:41 AM »
Renthal 971 bend, stock width, with Acerbis Multiplo handguards.  I think adding handguards that plug into the bar ends do reduce vibration a bit too.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 01:00:46 PM »
The yo yo says, 30 inches.  I have Acerbis bark busters that add maybe 3/4 of an inch also.   Smashed fingers and broken levers dictate the need for bark busters,even though I havent hit any trees lately. 
 John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline Bigtim

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 03:37:00 AM »
I'm 6'6', 275lbs on a 98 kx500.  I'll take all the stability I can get... full width(maybe31.5) on Pro-taper contour, CR high bend.  I might try the Pro-t KX high bend next which is about an inch taller, oh ya, i've been running Moose 50 mm riser blocks in the top clamp with no problems. I was worried how they'd hold up on crashes, Moose bark busters too.... since i do crash sometimes,, they save the grips and levers not to mention cute little pinky fingers, and probebly add 1.5 inches to overall width..  Important to mention I'm a woods rider, and still go prety wide.  I really do think i'm to big for this bike.lol.

Offline azdirtrider75

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 07:51:32 AM »
I just replaced my 1 1/8 TAG bar with one from www.rockymountainmc.com it's their house brand (Tusk) and is called the "Chub" bar. It's 1 1/8 and the CR High Bend. So far I love the bar; it looks great (powder coated black), is real strong, and the bend is awesome. I jumped on my friends new RMZ450 (100% stock) and it didn't feel right. I recommend all to use the high bend; it forces your riding position to be more aggressive and helps when you're standing.
Live in the Phoenix Metro? (East Valley) Contact me, let's ride
azdirtrider75
nateopie@hotmail.com

Offline kx250.1698

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 06:10:22 AM »
it dosent mater 2 me aslong as it dont brake on the first fall ,but i have a pro taper on

Offline martinfan30

• 2000 KX500
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
6'5" 230, FatBar Carmichael bend.
2000 KX500
2005 XR650L

Neither are stock, and both are great desert bikes.

Offline The Flyin Hawaiian

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 04:34:03 PM »
28.5 with Emig/Bradshaw Renthals, + 1" with Enduro Engineering hand guards. Extremely tight single track mostly. I also use a WER steering damper for a little bit of stability and less deflection.
A couple of 03 and 04 KXs, a few YZs, 3 PE 400s, a DR and a TS.

Offline PowerFiend

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 05:08:33 AM »
Renthal 922 Carmichael High (4.5in rise) or Protaper Pastrana FMX (4.75in rise). The FMX is 30.5 stock, and the Renthals I cut down 1/2in on either side to 30.5. I run handguards on all my bikes, which adds about 1in width.

I'm 6'1" and like the taller bars, since it makes it comfortable to stand. Sitting a lot is seems to promote bad form and less bike control. Going to try some set back pegs next to further open the cockpit, bars are already in forward clamp position.

Remember that a lot of the bar designs are designed for the average MX racer which is around 5'8" tall, so you taller guys don't be afraid to open things up: Tall bars, tall seats, set back and/or low pegs. Though I don't like the tall seats or low pegs, since a low seat and feet up out of ruts is good for knarly conditions.

Offline BasketCase

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 04:07:51 PM »
I use the full width Renthal Jimmy Button bars, 3/8" spacer, and 2" Rox risers.  I am 6'7" and 285lbs and with this setup and slightly bent knees I can stand on the pegs all day.  I am trying to avoid the lower pegs for now.
Nitrous is like a hot chic with STD's , you know you want to hit it but your afraid of the consequences.

Offline ToomanyKaws

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 11:08:17 AM »
I just put Carmichael protapers on my KX500.   Thinking of trimming them down about a half inch a side.   Seem to be the same width as the stock bars.   My KDX bars are cut way down.   Stockers.   Too bad we don't have more woods out here. :-D