Author Topic: 18 inch rear wheel  (Read 2873 times)

Offline serafin

18 inch rear wheel
« on: October 04, 2008, 11:01:56 AM »
Just got done changing over my rear wheel from 19 inch to 18 inch.  The wheel looks massive.  Also installed a Trail Tech Computer.  I had a couple of nuts welded to the crossbar which made for a cleaner installation.  More pictures in the gallery.

Serafin

Offline KXcam22

Re: 18 inch rear wheel
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:08:49 AM »
Is that the Maxiss SI?  Let us know how it works.  I put one on my wifes bike but it deosn't have enough hp to test it properly. Cam.

Offline serafin

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:38:09 AM »
KXcam,  Its a Maxiss Desert IT 120/100-18 this is the first time I've used a Maxiss tire.  I'm out here in Las Vegas where we have lots of tire eating rocks.  I've used mostly Dunlops.  I'll let you know the outcome.

BDI, The Moose rim looks well made according to guys at my local shop its an Excel rim with Moose branding.  I figured for $99 I couldn't go wrong.

Serafin

Offline barryadam

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 06:48:31 AM »
I am just about at the end of the life of my current set of Maxxis ITs on the KX500.  Here in Southern California, they have been on single track, trails, fire roads, rocks, sand, a bit of pavement, and rocks.  Did I mention the rocks?
They replaced a set of Dunolps and both gave about the same performance.
My son's KDX220 got Dunlops at the same time I put on the Maxxis.
He rode exactly the same places, but did not have the same wheelspin style as the 500.
Side-by-side, they both look and performed the same.  He claims to have some knobs cracking, but I'll have to inspect.
Bottom line...I'll go with whichever one is the best sale price.
If I can find a decent sale price, I am going to try the MT43 Trials on the rear of the KDX this time.  I don't think it will work the same on the 500, though. :-D
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI

muzzy

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 02:34:08 AM »
If anyone is interested in really digging trenchs and lossing some wheel spin, try a 18''x 3.5'' SunStar rim with a IRC M5B tire. If you have mods, I think the wider rim is neccesary. This made a huge difference for my K5 climber!

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:25:46 AM »
I had one too many get'offs with the M5B. It is worthless for hardpacked surfaces, but was nice in the mud.

muzzy

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 05:24:42 AM »
The M5B is worthless on hardpack, the wide rim is worth every penny tho. I installed 6 screws on each side of the rim to keep the tire still. Because of a lack of a workable bead.